Split banking transactions

Hi, I have several bank accounts, the default currency being GBP and I also have a EUR account as well. When I tag a transaction in any of my GBP accounts, using “Something else not on this list” option (I don’t use purchase or sales orders), I get a button to split the transaction against two or more nominal codes, which is perfect. However, if I have a transaction in my EUR bank account and try and tag it, I don’t seem to get the button to split it. Do we know why this could be?

Regards,

Bernie.

Hi @bernie
The transaction split facility actually creates a journal in the accounts. As journals are only supported in the base currency (GBP) this option is not presented for non-GBP bank accounts. One solution to this problem is to create a new bank account in GBP called something like “FX Transfers”, you can then transfer the single entry in there, post a corresponding entry on that FX account and then split it as required.

The other solution would be to create a purchase invoice in the same currency as the bank account with all the itemised splits. Then link the payment on the bank account to that invoice.

Hope this helps

Hi Beth,

Thanks for the quick response. I sort of guessed that may be the issue. However, I don’t really see why that should be a problem. If all transactions, whether bank, journal, ledger, etc carried both the currency and GBP amounts. Anyhow, I guess that’s not how it got designed, so I’ll work round it for now.

Regards,

Bernie.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.