Tagging a refund

I’ve just wasted half an hour trying to straighten out a credit note for a paltry six quid before finding this thread. I was invoiced twice for something and the credit card charged twice. A credit note was issued which I’ve entered and allocated to the second invoice and then a refund was made to the card. I try to tag the refund but I have to select an invoice and when I do it duplicates the credit note. When I delete that the supplier account is showing a credit. How do I fix this mess? I need to allocate the bank transaction without showing a wrong amount in the purchase ledger, and no, when I created the credit note it didn’t automatically generate a bank entry.

Credit notes are only invoices with negative values that may or may not be associated with one or more other invoices. Why does it have to be made so complex?

1 Like

Hi @JohnJ

Can I just check, have you entered the credit note onto QuickFile yet?

So when you originally created the credit note you selected “hold funds on account” rather than “refund”. This means there will now be an unallocated payment showing against that supplier, and you need to click through to that (from the supplier’s overview screen do view all payments, and if you don’t see it straight away anyway then do advanced search for type “unallocated”) and use the “refund balance” button at the top. Set the date and QuickFile bank account where you received the credit card refund and this will create a tagged transaction in the bank account, then delete the untagged duplicate.

I agree it does get a bit clunky and it is tedious that you can’t tag a bank transaction as the return of a prepayment (which is what this is) as distinct from the logging of a new refund.

3 Likes

Yes, that’s (I assume) why there are two. But the automatically generated one from the bank entry doesn’t seem to allow editing so I can’t put the supplier’s refererence in.

Thanks Ian, that did the trick, although it’s far from intuitive. (IMHO) the bank statement should be a hard link that you can only ever match things to and never be able to mess with.

1 Like

There’s a feature request for sorting this complex disaster out and making accounts simply transactional you could add your vote to.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.