Tagging transfers from cash register into and then transferring bank accounts

Me again! :smile:

I operate a system whereby we:

1. Take money out of the cash register (set up as a bank account in QF) on a daily basis, let’s say £400/day
  2. We then bank it semi-regularly, let’s say every 3 or 4 days into Bank Account A (which has a bank feed set up) so perhaps £1600 on the 4th day.
  3. I then transfer this £1600 a day or two later from Bank Account A to Bank Account B (which also has a bank feed set up).

I’m getting all confused on tagging the various values…

If I tag the Cash Register account as transfer to Bank Account A, it then creates an entry for £400 each day in Bank Account A - which is effectively a replication of the real £1600 deposit on the 4th day (from the bank feed).

If I tag Bank Account A as cash from Cash Register - it creates a £1600 entry in Cash Register, which again I don’t want.

If I tag the £1600 out of A as a transfer to B, it then duplicates the entry that has come through from the bank feed.

If I tag the £1600 in B as a transfer in from A, it duplicates the entry in A that came through from the bank feed.

The only way I’ve found of being able to tage everything without getting duplicate entries is to have a “Tagging only, pls ignore” bank account that I then transfer into/out of on the tagging exercise - which seems a crazy workaround…any better ideas?

Thanks!

The cash is cash on hand until you bank it. In theory you could dip into that £1600 to settle something in cash so you should only show that as paid in when you actually pay it in.

As far as I can make out you are getting duplicate entries because you are tagging everything twice. Once manually and once through the bank feed. Depending on the volume of transactions either do it all manually or let the bank feed handle cash paid in and inter account transfers.

Sorry, yes, cash register is a cash account, not bank, but still has tagging.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.