Trying to submit a VAT retrun for the first time

Trying to submit a VAT return for the first time for period May - July 2022. I constantly get the Not Athorised message. HAve been to the HMRC site and registed the Quickfile MTD details. VAT number etc show in my account profile.
At one point I did receive a screen requesting start and end date for the period of teh return. I have included the brifging facility.
Any ideas or indeesd is there a telephone help line ?

Hello @Nigeli

If you are sure you have done the following and are still getting the unauthorised message you will have to contact HMRC directly as we have no control over this error as it comes from HMRC.

• Linked the correct HMRC tax account (not your personal tax account)
  • Have entered the correct vat number
  • You have enrolled on MTD with HMRC
  • You received confirmation that you have enrolled on MTD (if done recently recently)
  • HMRC have confirmed your enrolment and have waited 72 hours (if done recently recently)

At one point I did receive a screen requesting start and end date for the period of the return. I have included the brifging facility.

Once your HMRC account is connected you don’t enter a date range. You select the open period from your HMRC tax account

is there a telephone help line ?

We offer support via the forum or by support ticket, we do not offer telephone support.

Hi Steve, I received no acknowledgement or confirmation from HMRC after having enrolled on MTD. I tried, via the GVT Gateway, several weeks ago ( early Sept) and I tried again today.

Hello @Nigeli

It may be worth querying your enrolment with them directly.

I just revisited the “Manage Authorised Applications” utility on the GVT Gateway.
It confirms Quickfile is the authorised application for viewing and changing VAT info.

Steve, I just spoke at HMRC and went thru the issues experienced. They acknowledged there may be a problem linking between their servers and Quickfile, if this was first time thru the loop in submitting a return. They are applying a tweak and asked me to try again in a couple of days. Thanks for your help!

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.