Unable to tag a payment to two invoices

Hi,

In the Bank Management area of Quickfile I am having difficulty in tagging a payment I recently received to 2 separate invoices. When I click on “Pay Down multiple invoices”, it is telling me there are “no unpaid invoices for this client”. However I can see the two unpaid invoices in my Invoice Management list. These are both invoices in Euros which I issued within the last couple of months. Any ideas?

Hello @philip4000

You can always do it the other way around.

If the payment you have matches the value of the two invoices.
Open each Invoice and pay them in full on the date you have the original payment recorded.

Then delete the original payment to avoid duplication.

Thanks Steve, but that’s not quite what I’m asking. I am trying to tag the single payment which appears in my linked bank account to two invoices, not just mark two invoices as paid.

If the invoices are EUR and the bank account is GBP then I don’t believe you can pay across currencies like this, you’ll need to start from the invoice side rather than the bank:

• go to the client’s detail page
  • view all their invoices
  • tick the relevant checkboxes to select the invoices, then “update as paid”
  • choose the option to log one payment that covers both invoices, and enter the relevant date and the GBP amount that you received in your bank account

This will probably create a duplicate transaction in the bank account, but you can then delete the untagged one.

Hi,
If not already done. In your quickfile account settings you can select a period in which the tagging process shall look for open invoices. Make sure that setting is at least 2 month.

Allocation of payments in a different currency to the standard GBP is more difficult in QF.

My suggestion for allocation of one payment in EUR to two invoices is a bit of a fav but after living in France for a few years I have found that this does the job!

Precursor allocation of payments does work directly from bank accounts in QF as the exchange rate utilised is XE.com which will hardly be ever the true exchange rate used as more likely the payment has used the VISA or Mastercard exchange rate!

PAYMENT ALLOCATION in currency other than GBP.

Go to the Supplier that you want to allocate the payment and enter a “Prepayment” (find that under “More options”)
prepayments-EUR-cmb

Enter the bank transaction (the payment) to the appropriate bank account and using the exchange rate that you recieved.

For example;
INVOICES to pay 75,00 € and 25,00 € = 100,00 €
PAYMENT sent £118.71 = 100,00 € (Using Ex. Rate 1.1871)

The manual prepayment will create a duplicate payment within the bank account so delete the unallocated payment in the bank account.

For allocation of the payment ensure that the invoices are set to the same exchange rate as the payment; otherwise there will be an exchange rate discrepancy that is better avoided.

GO TO each of the outstanding invoices and “Log Payment” and the credit (prepayment) on the account is available to pay down the invoice.

That should clear the two invoices as paid and still show one payment on the bank account.

1 Like

Thank you very much for all your help. I tried Alan’s suggestion and it did the trick. So special thanks to you Alan for taking the time to share it!

1 Like

Hi @philip4000,

Something to be aware of is if you have an active bank feed on the account; because the payment has been manually created a bank feed will keep uploading the transaction until passing the parsing date that the feed collects.

Keep an eye for the payment being re-imported and keep deleting the entry until the feed stops looking back to that date.

There are steps that I use to avoid the re-importation of an entry (A bank transfer to another bank account called EUR Cheques/Carte Debit) which keeps the original bank entry as marked as a “Feed/Import” entry.

If you regularly receive payments from your customers in Euros then having a separate bank account that you have available as a “suspense account” to manage such payments could be a useful arrangement.

Always a bit of a headache allocating transactions in a different currency to the normal currency used :upside_down_face:

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.