Unsuccessful VAT return

Hello, I’m a sole trader and have just sent my VAT return in as usual, I have been notified by HMRC that I am signed up with them for MTD although when I completed my return i got this message…Please help!

"VAT Return for ********* for the period 01/05/2019 to 31/07/2019 has been unsuccessfully processed by HM Revenue and Customs

I have been following other instructions and it looks like after rolling back and resubmitting after checking MTD checkbox it has gone through although I usually receive an instant email confirming this but it hasn’t arrived…Should I have had this or is it a fingers crossed situation?

This used to be the case on the old HMRC online submission system (where you had to put your gateway username and password directly into the QuickFile settings) but it’s no longer required under MTD - the old system was asynchronous with a delay between the receipt of the submission at HMRC and their notification of acceptance, but the MTD system is real time so if the submission worked that means it has been accepted. Any errors would have caused the submission to fail immediately.

If you want to double check then log in to your account on the government website and you should see the submitted return listed there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.