VAT Act 1994 Section 55A applies

I have just purchased £250 of telecom minutes and got a receipt from the wholesale stating Reverse charge: VAT Act 1994 Section 55A applies and I must pay HMRC £50

How do I handle this in quickfile ?

QuickFile doesn’t have native support for reverse charging services, what I do is mark the supplier as “VAT registered in another EU member state” (even though they aren’t). This enables the reverse charge checkbox on their purchases, but treats it as an acquisition of goods rather than a reverse charge for services, so when you come to submit your VAT return you need to apply manual adjustments to move the VAT from box 2 to box 1 and the net from box 9 to box 6. This doesn’t change the total VAT you have to pay, it just moves it around on the return.

Edit: on further reading it seems that for domestic reverse charge transactions like telecoms, you have to declare the VAT in box 1 but not declare the net at all, so in your case the adjustment would be

• subtract VAT from box 2 and add it to box 1
  • subtract net from box 9
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.