VAT return direct to HMRC

Just completed my first vat return using quickfile, how long does it take for the submission to show on your HMRC account?

You should normally receive a confirmation message from HMRC within about 30 minutes. This response should show alongside the VAT return in Quick File.

Hi Glenn I have had this email with failed return.

Thank you for sending the VAT submission online.
The submission for reference 18598 was received on 12-04-2014. Unfortunately it could not be accepted as it failed HMRC data checks.
To correct this please use the help provided within the software you used to complete your form and send it again. If you continue having problems please contact the Online Services Helpdesk on 0300 200 3701.
Fax 03000 516250.
The Helpdesk is open Monday to Friday - 08:00 to 18:00.
VAT Online is just one of the many online services we offer that can save you time and paperwork. For the latest information on all of our Online Services or more information on how to complete your VAT Return, please visit the HMRC website

I can’t see any information on our system to explain in detail why the return failed or even that it has failed at this stage. I have also noticed other VAT returns have gone through today and yesterday.

I have referred this to a developer to review on Monday.

Ok thanks Glenn I’ll await your comments

There were some delays over the weekend with HMRC polling responses. It finally came to use yesterday evening.

The VAT Period you have entered 2014-03 for the VRN ------------- was not found, please check and resubmit if necessary.

It looks like they were expecting a different period to be filed.