VAT Return Submission Unsuccessful

Hi
Just started using Quickfile for VAT MTD submission (as a replacement for a free Excel-based filer that no longer works). I completed the VAT Return and submitted but it failed. I realised that I needed to remove the authority from the first software and authorise Quickfile. Having done that I rolled back the first Return and completed and submitted a replacement. I received a Receipt ID and all seemed fine.

However, I then received an email from HMRC to say that the submission was unsuccessful. It’s not clear if this relates to the first failed attempt or the one that appeared to be successful (with the Receipt ID). The email said I should contact the software provider for help. Hence this posting.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mick

Hi @micklloyd,

If you are seeing the word submitted and a reference from HMRC against the return then I would say that it has been successful. To check the best thing to do would be to log in to HMRC directly and check on there

Thanks for the quick reply. Having gone back to the VAT Returns page, I now see that it says ERROR next to the Return. On viewing, there is a message from HMRC at the foot of the Return to say my VRN was not found. It’s identical to the one on my last paper Return!

Clearly something I need to take up with HMRC but thanks for your help.

Mick

Further to the above, I have now solved the issue with authorising Quickfile with HMRC. Having rolled back three previous submissions that were showing as error, the latest shows SUBMITTED. However, given recent experience and the fact that I have recieved no acknowledgement from HMRC, can I be sure that this has actually gone through?

BTW, Quickfile is infinitely better than the Excel add-in I was using and I propose to subscribe when I come to the next VAT Return submission.

Thanks in advance.

Mick

With MTD there’s no asynchronous acknowledgement email - if the submission worked then the return was accepted. If you want to double check, log in to your HMRC account on the web and you can see their view of your vat returns on there.

Hi @micklloyd,

Further to what @ian_roberts has said you will also get a reference from HMRC showing next to your return. When you view the list of returns you’ll see that it says “submitted” rather than saved with the reference in the column next to it.

OK, thanks both!

Mick

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.