VAT return - unable to submit

Quickfile will not allow me to submit my latest VAT return, dated 31/03/2021.

Previously there was a problem where HMRC were rejecting our submitted returns, because we hadn’t updated our business address with them after updating on the Companies House web site.

We have now corrected this omission with HMRC, and they inform us that we are now OK to submit new VAT returns electronically.

However, when I try and do this on Quickfile, I get the following error message “You have a saved VAT Return that overlaps this period (ending 31 Dec 2020). Please rollback any overlapping VAT Returns before proceeding”

It is indeed correct that we have 2 failed quarterly returns waiting to be dealt with (Jul/Aug/Sep 2020 and Oct/Nov/Dec 2020). However, there seems to be no way in our Quickfile account to roll these back, so we are stuck.

Please could you advise how to remove these old, failed VAT returns from our list of returns in our VAT report, so that we can move forward and file a return for the July 1st to March 31st period?

Many thanks,
Steve Ives

Hi @steveives

If you view the returns you wish to rollback, you should see a “rollback” button at the bottom of the page.

I don’t see any “rollback” button at the bottom of the page in my account. All I see is a “Show rollback VAT returns” check box at the top of the list display panel. When I click on this check box, nothing useful happens.

There doesn’t seem to be any facility in this support forum to attach screenshots, I want to show you my actual screen display but can’t.

This is an urgent problem to fix, so I need to find a way to escalate this, or to enter a support system where I can share my screen. I am a paid customer (Power user paid subscription).

Ashfieldacc (another user) seems to have a similar problem with VAT rollbacks, see “VAT rollback assistance” question he or she submitted 35 minutes ago.

Best regards,
Steve

Hi @steveives

You’re welcome to upload an image to your post if you wish, by either using the upload button or pasting the image straight into your reply.

It sounds like you’re looking at the VAT return overview page. If you go into the return itself, you should see the rollback button at the bottom of the page

Hi Mathew,

I looked at this again yesterday, following your input.

EXPECTED BEHAVIOUR

1. Click into VAT Returns screen from “Reports” dropdown menu.
  2. Select the VAT return to be rolled back.
  3. Click on the blue “View” button for that VAT return.
  4. Click on the the “Roll back VAT return” at the bottom of the return itself.

ACTUAL BEHAVIOUR

1. Click into VAT Returns screen from “Reports” dropdown menu.
  2. Select the VAT return to be rolled back.
  3. Click on the blue “View” button for that VAT return.
  4. The VAT return does not display properly.
    There is a ghosted grey image of the VAT return with the values missing from the fields.
    There is no “Roll back VAT return” at the bottom of the return.

This behaviour is consistent and is definitely a bug.

Until this problem arose recently, I have used the VAT return functionality successfully for the last two years, including a couple of rollbacks of returns. So this is not a case of the user not navigating the system correctly, or not knowing which button to press.

What seems to be different this time is that I have recently signed up for the MTD service.
When the system was working, I was using the pre-MTD interface to HMRC.

I will attach a screenshot of the ghosted grey VAT return image.

This is a high priority problem to fix, because I need to submit our quarter-end VAT return to HMRC.

Best regards,
Steve

I think your issue is you signed up to Mtd, but your trying to roll back a vat return that pre dates Mtd sign up.

I think if you disable the mtd settings you might find it works again. But I’m only speculating.

Hi @steveives

We found the error causing this issue and have put a fix in place. Please could you retry and let us know if you’re still having problems?

Hi Beth,

Thanks for confirming the error and putting the fix in place. I have just tested it out and it worked fine. I was able to rollback both VAT returns that were marked with “Error” in the VAT Returns screen.

I will now try to submit my return for the past period and let you know if that works fine also.

Best regards,
Steve

1 Like

Hi Beth,

I can confirm that I was able to submit a VAT return successfully via Quickfile for the outstanding period 1st July 2020 to 31st March 2021.

Thanks for all your help.

Best regards,
Steve

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.