Edit invoice that's locked in a VAT return

How can I edit an invoice that displays “This transaction has been locked as it relates to a previously submitted VAT return. You can continue to log payments against this invoice but you cannot change the amount or the items.”? We need to remove a line item off this invoice as it has been added onto another invoice in the same quarter. The values are the same so the VAT return will be balanced.

I have tried moving the start VAT return date backwards but I get an error of “Vat start date must be after the last period filed.”

I’m afraid only rolling back the VAT return will allow you to edit a locked transaction. I personally would avoid doing this unless you absolutely need to.

How can I edit the invoice as we need to change it for a customer?

Hi @ryansb

As @Glenn mentions, you would need to rollback the VAT return, which can be done under Reports > VAT Returns, select the return and click ‘Rollback VAT Return’.

1 Like

What implications would this have?

There’s a bit of an explantion here regarding rolling back a VAT return:

You may need to write to HMRC regarding the amended VAT return if it’s been filed with them

Thanks @QFMathew

We had already submitted this VAT return via their site so this one was rejected anyway. We will balance it out in the next VAT return.

I should note - I’m not an accountant, so it may be worth checking with one to save you a headache :wink:

1 Like

Yup going to get our accountant to sort it out :wink:

If it’s not going to change the values in any of the VAT return boxes then you should be safe to disable online filing in your QuickFile settings, roll back the return, edit the two invoices, then re-create the return in QuickFile, checking that the numbers are all the same as before, and “submit” it (without sending it to HMRC, as you turned off online filing).

If the change you want to make will change the figures in the VAT return in any way then I would leave it alone and make the corrections with a credit note and an extra invoice instead. These could be back-dated to the appropriate point within the quarter you’ve already filed, and QuickFile will pull them into your next return automatically.

(Usual caveat - I am not an accountant - we should have a standard abbreviation for this on this forum “IANAA”)

1 Like

Thanks @ian_roberts! :slightly_smiling:

Haha, yep we should!

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.