How to account for extra charge for PayPal payments

One client has asked to pay me by PayPal and I added an extra charge to cover the fees - using the PayPal facility rather than adding it to the invoice. The extra payment is showing as credit in their account, how do I account for this?

Thanks

Most of my credit card transactions are cash sales but on the rare occasions when I get an invoice paid by card I simply put the charge through Quickfile as a purchase from the processor. The full amount of the invoice is shown on the customer’s account.

To end up with a credit I think of a couple of scenarios, somebody would need to look at your account to out exactly what you did.

I’m not quite sure what you mean in your second paragraph but I went in to Manage Payment Options and Online Payment Integration and added a 3.4% handling fee for PayPal payments - based on the information on their website and the volume of payments I am likely to receive via this payment method.

The fee to my client was added at the point of payment but isn’t added to the invoice and so it just appears to be an overpayment and therefore shows as credit in the client’s account.

Take a look at this:
http://help.quickfile.co.uk/main/1/adding_an_automatic_charge_for_card_payments.htm#3

Basically, you can either modify the already paid invoice (and then apply the account credit to it), or lump them together at the end of the month. Either way, I’d just ensure that once you are happy everything has been accounted for, send a new copy to the client.

Fab, thank you. I will amend the invoice and resend to the client.

1 Like