How to categorise Amazon fees

Hi there,

I was just wondering how to categorise amazon fees.

I think sales commission would probably be the most suitable fit however its showing as an expense and not a variable cost which surely it is?

Any guidance would be brilliant!

Personally, I would set them up as a supplier, and follow the same method as PayPal, Stripe and GoCardless fees. Take a look at this post if youā€™re a bit unsure on what I mean:

http://community.quickfile.co.uk/t/showing-deductions-for-paypal-fees/2990/2?u=parker1090

1 Like

@Parker1090 is correct the best way is to setup a bank account (of type ā€˜Merchant Accontā€™) called ā€˜Amazon Marketplaceā€™ and any sales made through Amazon pay the invoice into this account. When Amazon remit the funds to you (usually minus their fee) you treat this as a transfer from the Amazon Merchant account to your current account. Any balance left over you can enter as a money out entry and tag is a payment to a supplier, again named ā€˜Amazon Marketplaceā€™.

Hi @Glenn

So, in the above situation, when we have an invoice from Amazon, we tag it against the supplier Amazon Marketplace with the description ā€˜bank chargesā€™ (like we do with PayPal)?

Many thanks
Jose

Yes, all these scenarios in accounting where youā€™re paid from a middle entity NET of fees is handled the same way. So in that respect Amazon Marketplace would work much like PayPal.

1 Like

Thanks Glenn!

Much appreciated
Jose

OK, I have a question about incoming Amazon payments.

Unlike PayPal, incoming payments from Amazon go straight into the bank account, so we canā€™t log that as a transfer between accounts (merchant to bank).

So if Amazon pay Ā£10 into the bank, and the Amazon fees are Ā£2, how would we log that in QuickFile?

Create a money in entry in the merchant acc: Ā£12 gross
Create a money out entry in the merchant acc: Ā£2 fees to Amazon

• hereā€™s the issue: the Ā£10 income is not in the merchant acc - itā€™s in the main bank account.

Any input is welcome

Cheers
Jose

Youā€™re still adjusting down the balance of the merchant account, so in this case you would find the Ā£10 incoming payment on your current account and tag it as a transfer from the Amazon merchant account.

If you donā€™t do this your Amazon account will accrue a larger and larger balance over time.

1 Like

Thank you Glenn,

I finally get it.

I assume that I tag the incoming Ā£12 in the merchant account as ā€˜sales incomeā€™, because Amazon donā€™t ask for an invoice, so thereā€™s no invoice to pay down with the incoming Ā£.

Many thanks Glenn - I really appreciate it.

Best Regards
Jose

You create an invoice in QuickFile anyway, even if you donā€™t actually send it to anyone. Iā€™d use a dummy client named something like ā€œAmazon Salesā€. I have to do a similar thing running my physical retail shop, creating one ā€œinvoiceā€ in QuickFile for the total amount of each dayā€™s till sales.

2 Likes

Thanks Ian,

Much appreciated! I think thatā€™s Amazon 101 covered in this thread :slight_smile:

This thread should help a few people in the future - thank you all - itā€™s got me back on track.

Al the best
Jose

1 Like