Payment link

Just sent an invoice for £750 and despite me having “no payment link” ticked in the options it appeared anyway and the client used it instead of making a transfer. Now stripe have charged me almost £10 for the privilege.

Hi @Paul

I can see that this payment option is enabled on your account, and enabled for the client in question. You would need to disable it for that specific client by going to the client modify page, and ticking this box:

This would prevent that particular client from paying via Stripe.

At the moment, they are able to log into their account through the link in the emails you send to them.

If you wish to disable it for all clients, you would need to either edit them individually, or remove Stripe from your account all together.

Hope that helps

I suspect what you’ve done is disable this option:

This just prevents the link from appearing on PDF invoices, it doesn’t stop the client from logging in and using the “Pay Online” button.

I don’t remember it ever appearing on anyone else’s invoices.

Yes, that option says “This link enables your client to make online payments. Check the box above to remove this link from all invoices.”

Seems pretty clear to me!

I only created the client to send a one off invoice I don’t see how I selected this as an option.

I am pretty annoyed about paying out money for this.

I just did “impersonate client” and I can not see a payment link anywhere. He would have just clicked on the invoice link when I sent him the invoice

I also cant see where it says stripe is enabled on the client account page. I dont ever remember wanting to use stripe for invoices. GC yes but not stripe.

The payment option would have been visible to your client here:

It won’t appear any longer as the invoice is marked as Paid. This button will reveal whatever payment options you have configured on your account in “Accounts Settings” >> “Manage Payment Options”. The only exception to this is if you either disable the payment option for the client (as per the earlier post) or at the invoice level.

Stripe is enabled on your account in the section mentioned above, if you do not want this option exposed to customers I would recommend disabling it.

Then it might be made clearer that this does not actually do what it says as the option to make online payments appears right above the invoice ! I went to a lot of trouble to avoid a card fee on on his low margin sale - which is why I am disproportionately annoyed about it!

Also it does not show on the clients account either.

The description is accurate though.

If you’re adding payment options under “Account Settings” >> “Payment Options” then it wouldn’t make sense to then have some additional option to disable them all. All this does is remove the link from the actual invoice.

Granted, like so many things it is “technically” accurate.
But, why else would you want to remove the link from the invoices unless you didn’t want people to use it? So what it actually means is “Remove from invoices but not from just above the invoice”

Surely “remove this option” should be just that, not “remove this option from just one part of the screen” - since your client can’t view the invoice without it being there!

When I linked Stripe I certainly was not aware that it would be presented to everyone that looked at their invoice despite the fact that I had said don’t show it to them.

So In order not to have this happen again I need to remove Stripe completely - as I can’t see an option per client or per invoice? And the Invoice option not show is effectively pointless as it is stil there but a few cm away.

Hi @Paul

The checkbox itself is there to remove it from PDF invoices rather than all invoices. In some cases you may send just a PDF invoice as an attachment rather than including a link through to the online version. Even though some people do this, they still want to accept payment online, which is what the link enables them to do.

As mentioned above, it will remove the link from the PDF invoices only, but still allow payment via the client control panel when they log in.

The quickest and easiest way to prevent Stripe payments would be to remove the link to your Stripe account completely, which can be done by going to Account Settings > Manage Payment Options.

To remove this on a client-by-client basis (enable selected clients to pay using Stripe), go into the client record (e.g. Sales >> All clients >> Select the client), and then click the modify button. You’ll then see options at the bottom to prevent certain payment options.