Question About Pysical Shop Book Keeping

This is probably going to sound like a very silly question but I am unsure as to how I will log my daily sales into quick file if I sell from a physical shop (as I have only ever sold online thus far).

The question is based around this scenario:

I pay in for example £300 of sales for the day into my Barclays bank account, the feed runs and it then shows a £300 cash deposit into my Barclays bank account, My question is how do I then break this amount down to individual customer sales that I have written down in my cash book so I can have the sales on record?

There is probably an extremely simple answer to this as I am well aware it is done by many all of the time.

Thank you so much for your help in advance, I really appreciate all the advice from Quick File & the great service they provide.

Kind Regards,

T.Hawkins

Hello!

I’m not sure if you’re potentially complicating it. You can just lump it together and call it “Wednesday’s Sales” for example.

However, what you could do is create a new bank account, say “Daily Sales”, and tag that £300 as a transfer from the new bank account (bear in mind the account is virtual - it doesn’t need to physically exist with a bank).

Then you could enter individual takings in the Daily Sales account, and tag it to an invoice for each client (where each client would be a different customer).

Hopefully the above makes sense, but I would probably stick to the daily sales as per the knowledge base due to the extra work with the above method:
http://help.quickfile.co.uk/main/1/accounting_for_daily_takings.htm?searchTxt=daily%20takings&criteria=

You have the £300 deposit in Barclays so effectively for daily takings you would just create a separate invoice on the system, mark it as SENT (which activates it) then go back to your bank payment and tag it to that invoice.

The single invoice I mention would be a summary of the various categories of sales for that particular day. Each line on the invoice could be a departmental total, e.g. £100 clothing, £200 homeware etc.

There’s no need to log every customer in your accounting system just the daily totals distilled on to one single daily invoice.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.