First VAT Return, unable to select correct dates

Hi,

I am attempting to submit my VAT return to HMRC but I am receiving the following error:

“Vat return submission failed.
Please enter the begining of the month for return filing start period.”

I was registered for VAT on the 17/06/13. All invoices on / after that date are subject to VAT and need to be included in my VAT return. My VAT returns are due in Apr, July, Oct and Jan.

When selecting the date range, I used 17/06/13 - 31/07/13 to only include the applicable invoices. Anything before 17/07/13 is not subject to VAT. As my VAT registration date is the 17/06/13, the calendar for the ‘from’ date will only allow me to select from 17/06/13.

Any clues?

Quick File currently will only allow you to submit for whole month periods, I appreciate this causes a problem for those newly registered where the first period usually commences midway through a given month.

I did notice you already have a return submitted today for 01/06/2013 - 31/07/2013. Should this be removed? Once I know what’s happening with this return I may be able to offer some suggestions.

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your reply.

I set the date to the beginning of June and that seemed to resolve the issue.

However, I thought on this occasion I’d manually enter my VAT via HMRC and just make a record in QuickFile.

For the next return, QuickFile should be ok to use.

Thanks again.

That makes sense, please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.