First VAT return help

I know this has been covered here First VAT Return, unable to select correct dates but was there a solution to selecting a date that isn’t the beginning of the month as the start of your VAT return period?

My start date is the 6th April 2014 through to end of May and although it will let me select that date it won’t submit the online return as it isn’t the beginning of the month.

Do i have to submit a manual return the first time?

The HMRC online filing system doesn’t actually recognise mid-month dates and will only accept returns for clear months. If you log into your Gov Gateway service and start the motions to file a VAT return it will tell you there what dates it expects to receive. Unfortunately they never return this information in the error response for their web service.

You could also try calling them on their national helpline and they should be able to instruct you on the correct dates to use.

TEL: 0300 200 3700

Thanks for the reply Glenn, I’ll give them a buzz now and update the thread.

Thanks

Keith

Sure, let us know as it’s a question that’s come up a few times.

still on hold…

But checked my gateway and it says this?

Period:05 14
Date from:06 Apr 2014
Date to:31 May 2014
Due date:07 Jul 2014

Okay he said they don’t get involved with software (was kinda expecting that) and that i should be able to submit with a start date of the 6th of April through to the 31st of May cut off.

Don’t think there is going to be a resolution to this so I guess I have two options, either change the date in my QF settings to the 1st (and make sure there’s no vat charged or received on purchases and invoices) OR submit my first return online and you could mark it as sent in my account?

What do you think?

I would submit from the 1st April and just download the calcs before sending just to make sure it hasn’t inadvertently included anything from the 1st to the 6th. It won’t be a problem going forward.

In the mean time I’ve logged this with an engineer and we’ll speak to HMRC’s tech department to seek a long term resolution.

Any problems, give me a shout!

Oh I see, so change the start date in the settings to the 1st, but use the figures that it’s currently displaying for all the boxes when selecting the 6th.

I got it, thanks for that Glenn, loving Quickfile and spreading the word :wink:

Okay, moved the date in the settings to the 1st, double checked the VAT on invoices and purchases in the calculations, (used the adjustment to claim backdated asset’s as per their guidelines) and made sure the figures were the same as when I was calculating from the 6th and it submitted just fine.

Thanks Glenn

and just received this via email from HMRC…

Thank you for sending the VAT submission online.

The submission for reference 15217 was successfully
received on 10-06-2014 and is being processed.

VAT Online is just one of the many online services we
offer that can save you time and paperwork. For the latest information on all
of our Online Services please visit the HMRC website

This is an automatically generated email. Please do not
reply as the email address is not monitored for received mail.

And this from you guys…

Dear Quick File,

This email has been automatically generated to confirm
that a VAT Return for **************************** has been received
and processed by HM Revenue and Customs.

Net VAT to be reclaimed from HM Revenue & Customs
(Difference between boxes 3 and 4) (Box 5) is GBP ********** for the period
06/04/2014 to 31/05/2014.

This is a repayment return. No payment is
due.

If you have any questions regarding this VAT return,
please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

Quick File Team

Quick File Ltd

http://www.QuickFile.co.uk

which is strange because that says the 6th lol?

1 Like

I think when we bind the dates on the email we use the ones supplied in the HMRC response. I admit it’s all a bit confusing, fortunately it’s only something you have to do once :smile:

Appreciate your feedback! I’m sure it will be helpful in developing this area in future.

Thanks alot for your help Glenn :wink:

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.