Accounting Error and Missed VAT Return

I have a number of issues. I discovered that my VAT return for period ended 30 April had not been sent. I was thinking it was sent automatically. When I looked to see how to send it, there was no option to do so. I was allowed to download the report, though. When I downloaded the report, I noticed that some transactions were missing, even though the missing entries were showing in my purchases as ‘paid’. In addition to the query above, I would would like to know how to get the return for this period to HMRC, because their site does not tell you how to do this manually outside of the MTD system.

I managed to send my VAT return for period ended 31 July, but I noticed an error. For one purchase I had entered a VAT rate of 20%, but it should have been nil. Consequently, an incorrect VAT payment is showing as payable. How do I correct this error?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello @SpaceGhost

When I looked to see how to send it, there was no option to do so.

This is because the returns can only be submitted in chronological order

The steps have been outlined by @ian_roberts in the link below

Please note where he mentions adjustments as your May-July return includes transactions from the missing return

I managed to send my VAT return for period ended 31 July, but I noticed an error. For one purchase I had entered a VAT rate of 20%, but it should have been nil. Consequently, an incorrect VAT payment is showing as payable. How do I correct this error?

Once the return is submitted no changes can be made to it, you would need to correct this on the next return.

• Raise a credit/refund for it it the next period
  • Re raise the invoice/payment for it in the next period

The net effect will show on the next return as both transactions will be picked up

1 Like

I thought I’d better update this post, because I have discovered a likely reason for the overlap errors I was getting after rolling back previous VAT returns and trying to re-enter details for the missed VAT period.

I discovered in my account settings that the accounts period ended date for my company was set at 31 January, instead of 30 April. Once I corrected this the overlap error didn’t occur.

I have managed to re-enter the missed VAT period (period ended 30 April) and the following quarter (the latter has already been sent to HMRC), however there is no apparent way of submitting the missed VAT period to HMRC. Will this missed period automatically get sent when I do the quarter ended October return?

Hello @SpaceGhost

In order to submit the missing period you will have to;

• Rollback the period May - July
  • Rollback the period February - April
  • Run the vat return for February - April and submit
  • Set your HMRC account to “No electronic filing” in Reports > Vat Returns > Settings
  • Rollback the period May - July - Save
  • Turn electronic filing back on
1 Like

Thanks. I’ll give it another go and feedback. :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed:

I followed the instructions and managed to submit the return for period ended April. Thank you, very much.

Just one thing, I didn’t need to rollback the period ended July before switching electronic filing back on, as it was already rolled back. As the latter was already successfully submitted previously, do I just leave it as rolled back?

Hello @SpaceGhost
Sorry my mistake (typo), the last two points should have read

• Run the period May - July - Save
  • Turn electronic filing back on

You do this because if you don’t, the May-July transactions would not be reconciled and would get picked up in the August-October return.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks. I’ve done that, so period ended July is showing as ‘saved’, but not submitted (it had in fact already previously been submitted prior to my problem). The figures showing are correct. Does this now mean that my account is in order?

Hello @SpaceGhost

That’s correct, they are all submitted

Unfortunately there’s nothing we can do about the May to July return showing as Saved in QuickFile (for the reasons I mentioned earlier).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.