Accounting for an import

Hello All
I recently bought an engraving machine for use in my small scale product production. It came from china (sadly) and I’m not sure how to account for this within Quickfile.
I paid for the machine in USD, which was converted to GBP.
On arrival, it attracted VAT @ 20% and was 0% duty rated.
The import agents I used invoice separately for service charges, so that’s straightforward.
My problem arises from the fact that I have an invoice from the manufacturer, and a separate invoice for the VAT value from the UK importer. The VAT charged is about 3% greater than 20% of the actual cost. The importer puts this down to exchange rates used by HMRC but the rates were the same as the date of purchase.
My question is, how do I enter these invoices into Quickfile and do I need to adjust for the incorrect VAT charged?
Any guidance gratefully received.

No one had to do this before?

Firstly. Are you vat registered? It may sound a silly question but it isn’t clear from your initial post.

Hello Paul. Yes I am.

You should be able to edit the purchase receipt and adjust the vat element.

The purchase invoice is from a chinese supplier. There’s no VAT element.
The VAT was charged to me by the customs clearance agent so I have their invoice which is entirely VAT.
I’m unsure how to enter/link these 2 invoices in Quickfile and also how to ‘correct’ for the VAT calculation at an apparently less favourable exchange rate.

You can manually adjust the VAT on the invoice to over-write the calculated amount. As for entering a VAT only invoice, the work around courtesy of @ian_roberts here VAT only Invoices - Nil Sales seems to be to enter two lines on the purchase invoice, one for the net amount at 20% to give the correct VAT. The second line would be minus the net amount but at zero VAT. The balance on the invoice would then just be the VAT.

This topic was automatically closed after 4 days. New replies are no longer allowed.