Adding additional columns to the invoice lines

Please explain how we can add an additional filed to the invoice section below:

Item | Description | Unit Cost | Qty | VAT | Total | CUSTOM FIELD ENTRY ? |

Hi @CanterburyTaxis

Unfortunately there isn’t a way to add a new column to the invoice lines.

What sort of data were you looking to add? Perhaps we or another user could suggest an alternative method?

We want a simple column ( Code ) so we can allocate a specific two letter code to each entry as we have multiple codes (14) that need to be reconcilled on each invoiced client approximately 50

The only thing I can suggest at the moment is to add this to your description field. But I have however converted this to a feature request thread, so we’ll certainly keep an eye on the interest from the community.

There is no line break in the description field therefore,
formatting would be an issue.

The only way would be to rename a column or create a new one.

As this is template based surely you have the ability to simply create a custom field tick box within the code to either be added or subtracted ?

If pressed enter in the description field, it would push the text onto a new line for you.

You certainly could rename a column, that’s not a problem. There’s more details on this here

We certainly can make changes, but we wish it was that easy :slight_smile: .
We’re more than happy to dedicate time to changes, but we need to see some interest from the wider community before doing this. As mentioned above, this thread is now in the feature category so other users can add their votes and comments too. We’ll keep an eye on the interest in this (as we do with all feature requests), and we’ll happily take a look if there is enough interest.

Please don’t hesitate to let me know if you would like any help with changing the labels.

Okay Glen,

this does not solve our allocation problem as there are over 300 transactions a week we need to allocate instantly for referencing.

It is as you say something that your wider community may or may not vote on but this is a real time issue for us.

There are too many transactions to be looking through the text fields in the description for it to be practical in any way.

Is the code simply for referencing, or bank tagging, or a client reference (e.g. a purchase order number)? I’m just trying to understand the reasoning behind it and how often this code would change.

Do you currently use the item column? If not, could you use this? It doesn’t need to tie into the sales inventory, it can be used on it’s own and would be shown on the invoice too.

p.s. I’m not Glenn :wink:

Yes we need it to allocate a reference code for each individual item.

Currently we use the item field for the Date as each entry has a different date.

As we need to seach for the date and for the code seperately we can only have two seperate columns.

So if there is no additonal column available will have the Date and the code in the same column… confusion would then previal when looking at the sales inventory.

========================================================================

Has there been any further news on updating this feature within QF. ?

Is there currently any way to add another column to invoices. I have found this old thread, but nothing since. I need to add a date field as I often invoice for a whole month. Thank in advance.

1 Like

Hi @Sally_Bush

There isn’t a way to do this, but you could re-purpose an existing column. For example, do you use the “Item” column at the moment?

Hi. Thanks, I would like to change the name of the item column. Please can you advise how to do this? However I also need another column too. It seems that quite a lot of people have requested this. Is it not something you could supply?

Unfortunately it’s not just as simple as adding another column - there would be quite a bit work involved behind the scenes. But you’re more than welcome to add your vote to this request by clicking the “Vote” button at the top of the page.

We have a guide on this in our knowledgebase: CSS transformations. If you have any further questions however, please don’t hesitate to start a new thread and we’ll try our best to help.

Adding to this FR - as we also rent equipment, we would like an additional column to show time as well as qty for example we rent 2 computers for 3 weeks
We already use items columns for revenue analysis.

Thanks

1 Like

Well this is an issue which does seem to go beyond the IT capabilities of QF.
From a programming perspective it does not seem hugely problematic but i guess balancing that against the other functionality on QF has limited the scope and therefore the capacity of QF to include very basic changes…even after 3 years…hmm.

Following as we also need a column adding, Service Date, just came from Quick Books who had this feature and now missing it.

1 Like

Hi @whiteleyevents

Do you use the “Item” column on the invoice? If not, you could rename this and repurpose the column.

Just let us know if you need any help with this.

If that doesn’t work, please make sure you click “Vote” at the top of the thread to ensure your vote is counted for this request.

Hi, that could work, do I need to upgrade to do this?

.transform-itemHead_01{
content: “Service Date”;

Hello @whiteleyevents

No, You can amend the CSS of a sales invoice without a subscription

https://support.quickfile.co.uk/t/10-basic-css-tricks-for-styling-your-invoices/8835

https://support.quickfile.co.uk/t/css-transformations/8878

This is such a basic issue which is simply been left out of your development. :unamused: