AOL SMTP Settings

I’ve had many of my clients tell me that my monthly invoices have been going to their SPAM file, rather than appearing within their normal email accounts. I gather this may have something to do with my SMTP settings under 3rd Party Integration, and I have set this up to indicate my From Email address, which is accurate; then, my company name.

I have set the Host Name and User Name to contain the same Email address I used in the first instance. I’ve entered my password for this email address, and I have ticked Enable SSL. I understand the send Activation to email address must be an alternate address; but, when I have entered an alternate address, it has been rejected? However, the system indicates it is waiting for me to upload an Activation code and I have checked both of the email addresses I have used; but, this code has yet to arrive in either address?

I look forward to gaining advice to overcome the primary issue with regard to allowing my client invoices to go to the client email addresses without simply being directed into their SPAM Files; then, how to get the SMTP service working.

Hi @ernieparsons

The host name for your account should be an address for your mail server rather than your email address.

I can see you’re using an AOL email address here, if you’re using this one for the account too, the details should be as follows:

• SMTP Outgoing Server Address: smtp.aol.com
  • Set the port to 587
  • SMTP Username: YourUsername@aol.com (or @love.com, @games.com, etc.)
  • SMTP Password: password you use to login to Mail

A full list of settings are available here: https://help.aol.co.uk/articles/how-do-i-use-other-email-applications-to-send-and-receive-my-aol-mail

I’ve tried to upload the SMTP details you’ve kindly provided me; however, this failed.

So, following the simple Quick fix instructions within the help files, I have changed the address from which emails are sent by going into the “Account settings” menu and then selecting “Routine emails”. Then, I’ve set the Default Email Address to ‘norelpy@quickfile.co.uk’.

When I have gone back into 3rd Party integration, SMTP Settings this currently indicates:
PORT 25
From Address: noreply@quickfile.co.uk
From Name: Ernie Parsons Limited
Host Name:
User Name: ernieparsons1@aol.co.uk
Password: xxxxxxxxx
Enable SSL not ticked
Send Activation email to

As my email address is through AOL I don’t have a SMTP server? If you have any alternate suggestions, please let me know.

Best wishes,

Ernie

If you have the sender address set to noreply@quickfile.co.uk then SMTP should be off. I had a look at account ending 6674 and the SMTP is off, so it should work fine now sending from the @quickfile.co.uk address.

On a side note I know AOL have additional restrictions for connecting via SMTP, to quote a similar thread.

No, but AOL do.

I think the main problem is that AOL (and most other free email providers to some extent) have tight security policies and these can change from time to time. If you are using your own SMTP service then you should really (for simplicity at least) use your own hosted service.