Bank Statement Report with Balances

Is it possible to run a bank report which shows debits credits & balances for a given period?

Hi @adhdcentre

If you’re looking for a view of your bank account similar to that shown on a paper bank statement (running transactions and balance for a set period), you can do an Advanced Search by date range, which would show you the transactions and running balance for that period.

Thanks can see I can do that but if I go to export it as csv it doesn’t show the running balance?

The exported CSV is a spreadsheet compatible file. In tools likes Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets, you should be able to add a quick “sum” column in manually.

Is there a particular reason you have exported it? Perhaps we could suggest another way of doing this within QuickFile itself?

Thanks I need to check transactions against a paper statement as I think have an error somewhere and thought easiest way to do would be to download them all into excel. Was hoping for a report as if just a list then I will need to go through and tick 25 pages of transactions to export!

In that case, what you’re looking for is the recon tool:

This is found by going to More Options >> Reconcile Tool

This tool will allow you to enter the opening balance and closing balance from your paper statement, along with the dates, and we’ll do the checking. It’ll show you whether or not the balance matches, or if there’s an error.

Thank you yes I have already done that - but think I have an error somewhere as the closing bank balance when I look at the year end is not the same on the balance sheet as it is on the paper bank statement so need to know where I have gone wrong. Think I will just have to download into excel and do calculations to work out the running totals.

You don’t need to download the transactions. If you use the recon tool from the link above, you should be able to work backwards, from your latest statement until your error disappears. If it says the balance is all OK, then there isn’t an error.

If the balance is short or over, it will show this, and the amount it’s by, which can help you figure out where it’s gone wrong.

So, let’s say you work backwards from October’s statement, you would work like this:
October - Over £100.00
September - Over £100.00
August - Balances

This would indicate there’s an issue somewhere in September. So then, break it down. If you have balances on a weekly basis, do it week by week. It’s certainly easier if you don’t have many transactions, which the tool will help identify any unders and overs compared to a paper statement.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.