Card Sales tagging with and without invoices

If shop Card Sales show up in bulk in the Reserve account and get tagged directly to Card Sales, what do I do when I have raised an invoice and the payment was by card?
I thought I could split the bulk amount for that day to show the invoiced payment separately from the bulk, and just reduce the bulk entry by that amount. However, it has occurred to me I will be reducing the amount of Card Sales as the payment will show as bank transfer when I tag it…
Can anyone help?

1 Like

This is quite a common accounting scenario. Essentially you treat your card service provider (e.g. Streamline, BarclayCard, Paypal, Stripe etc) as a bank in QuickFile.

You can log a bulk card sale invoice (e.g. weekly, daily or monthly) to the merchant bank account, then make transfers from here to your current account when you receive the funds. There would usually be a difference that would equal your payment provider’s charges, these can be logged as supplier invoices and paid from the merchant account.

We have more general guidance on this topic here:

Handling payments from merchant accounts

1 Like

Thank you. I think the problem has arisen from my Manager wanting to show Shop Card Sales, Shop Cash Sales and Shop Cheque sales so we have tagged to ‘something else not on this list’ - Shop Card Sale as there was no invoice. Now I’m not sure how I would go about changing the method without messing up the figures.

1 Like