Charges for Large/XL accounts and access to old data

Hi all,

As my very small business apparently counts as large I am not going to be able to afford the subscription for the service (this is more money than the profit I make in a year!)

Do you know if I will still be able to access my data if I don’t pay when it goes live? Or am I going to have to re-enter all my data into another program?

Thanks

The power user subscription is £45+VAT per year, which works out at £4.50 per month including VAT. You won’t find a comparable service anywhere else that’s cheaper.

(Not QuickFile staff, just a satisfied customer)

2 Likes

Hi Ian, thanks for the reply
For what I need it for the £4.50 a month is still more than I want to be paying as this would eat up any money I make from my few hours a week spent selling crafts :slight_smile:
I was just wondering if by not paying I am denied access all together? Or if there is a “locked out” mode where I can view but not post transactions?
First I had heard about this move was when it popped up on log in today. I only set my accounts up on here a month or so ago so If I had known this at the time I likely wouldn’t have spent hours putting in back dated transactions :slight_smile:

If you run a backup of your account you will receive set of CSV files containing all your invoices, clients, suppliers bank entries etc. I’m afraid as of December 1st you would need a Power User subscription (£45 + vat p.a.) to continue using QuickFile.

Hi All,

Forgive me for butting in on this thread but, I have the same issue. It’s not something I have budgeted for and although only £4.50 per month it’s still something I would prefer not to pay. So, is it possible to reduce the size of my account by downloading all the old data each year and then deleting it from my online account. Then in effect starting each year with empty account, which will keep the number of transactions to a minimum per year?

Regards,
Andrew

@ajbcad technically there’s nothing stopping you from doing this, if you’re happy to spend the time periodically deleting records. It really comes down to what value you put on your own time.

Yes I have to agree,

about a year and a half ago I was looking for a web site where I could record my personal expenses on the cloud for free. Now out of the blue you want to charge me 45 pounds to record my personal expenses ?? You think that’s worth it?

I would be more than happy to pay a little bit for just the basic version, but you forcing me to pay 45 pounds to record my weekly bread and butter purchases is a bit too much.

@G_DJ To be fair to @Glenn and the team, they’ve made a fantastic piece of software which is designed for businesses. Setting up, maintaining and adding the feature requests users ask for takes time and money - servers, data, staff, premises, security and all the other business aspects aren’t free. As with any business they’re here to make a profit, which I’d be surprised if they have up until now given the fact that the software has been free.

I 100% think, as a small business myself, that £45 a year is more than worth it, especially in comparison to other cloud accounting software.

As much as it can be used for personal expenses, it’s not designed for that (hence the selection of sole trader, limited company etc when you register). However, if you are just recording small expenses, chances are you’re not even a large account and would be on the free tier anyway.

I don’t work for QuickFile, I just develop cloud software myself and appreciate all the costs associated with it.

2 Likes

Parker you didn’t address my point, if you read my point I did say I would be more than happy to pay. My point was why should I pay the same amount as a big business?

You say you are a business owner, well let me ask you do all businesses charge everybody the same ? Yes I have looked at many other cloud software and let me tell you no one is charging the same for everybody.

I personally only use invoice entry, and journal entry but yet you asking me to pay for all this other stuff I don’t even need to use. You asking me to pay the same amount than a someone who has payroll, large inventory, invoicing online etc etc… If you look at other cloud accounting software they charge extra for users who use more modules, not by the number of entries they do. I am actually an account and we use JD Edwards and even JDE doesn’t charge us by the number of entries, they charge us a base price plus the modules we use and the support they have to provide.

The software is great, be fair on pricing, that was my point.

When you say “you are charging me” in reference to @Parker1090 he is just a satisfied user, as am I. He is not charging you anything.

Also no-one is “forcing” you to pay anything.

1 Like

Before anything was formalised we looked carefully at the percentage of our user-base that would be affected. A good percentage of our users do in fact sit below the L threshold and would not be affected by this change.

We are not suggesting that anyone graded L or above are necessarily “Big Businesses”, it’s just we need to draw a line somewhere in order to cover the costs involved in maintaining and developing an application like QuickFile.

A great deal of what we do isn’t so much churning out features but more orientated around managing the growth in data, cyclical hardware/software upgrades and performance tuning. This is something that affect users of all sizes and the expertise needed to manage this don’t come cheap, we have already spent 100s of thousands of pounds developing QuickFile.

While this may be true, most mainstream accounting applications don’t provide a free tier at all. What’s more the starting packages are typically more expensive than our own Power User Subscription and are limited in terms of both features and number of entries.

We decided that the best way to determine our own fees would be to align them as closely as we can to our costs. For example a user who only ever imports PayPal transactions may generate 1,000 entries per month but never touch any other features. A user like this would be more expensive to manage than someone who inputs 50 entries per month but uses a larger range of features. So for this reason we use the number of ledger entries as a reference point for determining what to charge, we have done the same for Affinity for nearly 2 years.

I hope that goes someway to explaining our rationale.

2 Likes

@Glenn thank for taking the time and explaining, I appreciate it . I think I will stick around and purchase the subscription .

@Lurch like I said in my post earlier, what’s a point of wasting bandwidth and saying something pointless with no value to the conversation?

I don’t agree it’s a waste of bandwidth nor pointless. I just don’t think it’s fair to call Quick File out on their charges because you deem them “unfair” without getting the correct information (which @Glenn has now provided), and while you are using the software for something other than it’s intended purposes (personal vs business use).

As for me not addressing your point because I didn’t read it - you didn’t read the fact that I don’t work for Quick File. As @Lurch said - I’m not charging you anything, I’m just a very satisfied user of Quick File who believes it’s very reasonably priced for what it provides.

I apologise for not addressing your point in my other post, but I’m glad @Glenn cleared it up for you. Hopefully the pricing works out all OK for you.

You reply to my comment but you didn’t even read my comment??? read what you say, what’s the point of replying to my comment if you not even going to read it.

I never said you are charging me, show me where I said Parker you are charging me? where did I say your name and I said you are charging me ? where ?

Quick File is charging me it’s so obvious, trust me Parker I know you or louch don’t have the brains to run a site like Quick File, now stop replying to my comments cause they are useless.

Yes, I do apologise, you do sound much cleverer than me, I’m sorry for cluttering your forum with unhelpful replies. Oh wait, it’s not yours, I assume as you are so much better than everyone you will be making your own free for life cloud accounts package?