Client Prepayments/ allocation splits

Hi,
I have 3 invoices that a customer has short paid on due to CIS deductions. Their payment for all 3 came in as one bulk deposit so I have added to their account as a prepayment. All 3 invoices are short so I need to allocate the correct amount from the prepayment but it automatically wants to settle the total because I have enough to do so rather than me entering how much I want to use.

Normally these things happen singularly so its not an issue. The amount outstanding is paid from an CIS Control account I have.

Is there a way to do this?

I have a similar issue when cashing cheques. The bank normally add multiples together so the auto bank feed shows as one deposit which is difficult to split across multiple client payments. I have to ask the bank to load separately to get round this which is a bit of chore when you have several. Though I would mention both because it involves issues around allocation.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi @w9gga

There are 2 ways to deal with this - either split the payment down from 1 payment into multiple (1 per client), or creating a holding account. If you have this situation often, I would suggest looking at the holding account option.

There’s more details on this here which may help.

There isn’t a way to do this at the moment, however there is a feature request open for this that you may wish to add your vote/comments to.

What you may want to do however is pay the CIS element off first and then the balance of the invoice would hopefully match up with the prepayment. There’s two guides available for CIS on QuickFile, which are:

I hope that helps, but please let me know if you have any further queries

Oh yes! I never thought of doing the CIS first because of course you can denote the amount.

That will sort me out. Thanks very much!

1 Like