Coding expenses on Invoices

Hi, I’m a sole trader and new to QF.

One of my clients occasionally asks me to cover conferences for them overseas. When I do this they cover my expenses. These expenses I am entering on QF as purchases and coding as Subsistence or Overseas Travel as appropriate. In these circumstances my invoice has two lines, one for my standard charges and one for the travel & subsistence costs. I guess I set the category for my consultancy charges as General Income but how should I categorise the Expenses line? General Income? Miscellaneous Income? Something Else?

If you’ve logged the purchase invoices for the travel expenses and subsistence you can rebill these to a client sales invoice. Doing it this way will ensure that the original expense code is contra’d.

Simply locate the purchase expense invoice on the main list, check the item, click on the “More options” menu and click “Rebill to client”.

This will open a new sales invoice with a reverse entry on the expense code. You can edit the invoice to add more items if you wish.

You can find more on expense rebilling here.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Matthew, that makes sense. Can I handle my depreciation question the same way? i.e. enter the depreciation arrears as a purchase invoice and then rebill to client?

Hi @jonr

Relating to your query here.

I would check this over with your accountant to ensure it’s recorded correctly. You would be able to rebill the original purchase invoice for the equipment, several times if you wish. However, depreciation is generally handled through a journal, so an accountant would be in a better position to confirm this for you. The other post is open for a few days so hopefully an accountant or someone with experience of this will be able to assist you there.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.