Credit card statement , how to enter on quick file

Hi @Claireabell

You can enter them like a purchase, but this would mean that your dates may be out.

I would recommend setting up a bank account for the credit card itself and entering the transactions there as they appear on your bank statement. It would make the recon easier too as you can then compare it against the original statement.

ok, as the statement has various items on ie fuel, materials, stationery when do you put where it goes against ie category code? as when you enter it just says reference, where as when entering on an order it gives you the category code.

Hope I make sense!

If I enter like on the example I’ve attached then the category and the payment to each item will work? its just I’m doing old school and highlight on the statement each category of fuel etc and itemising then entering the figures on this order…just till I get a grip of this whole system.

Hi @Claireabell

I’m not sure if i’m understanding your question correctly but if you’re entering a transaction then this gets posted directly to the bank account rather than to a specific nominal. These transactions can then be tagged to the Purchase Invoice etc. It is up to you what you type in the reference, you can be as detailed as you like with this.

Typically the transaction would match what it shows on your statement.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

Not sure if you saw this attachment as it’s sitting at the bottom of screen not sent.

Please see attached document, some said add a credit card to quick file.

Please advise as not to sure on this how to enter. It’s dated a month prior to it being taken from account.

Hi @Claireabell

Have a look at this guide : Managing credit cards in QuickFile

This may answer your queries, please let me know if it doesn’t and I will try to help as best I can :slight_smile:

Hi
I’ve had a read and made a credit card bank account and entered all the amounts from the card into QF. IVE ATTACHED A POST TO SHOW THE PROCESS. ALSO IM VAT REGISTERED AND ABIT CONFUSED WHERE AND HOW THE VAT IS TAKEN FROM THE AMOUNTS WHEN ENTERED THIS WAY.

Forget the credit card statement for the moment - what matters from the point of view of your accounts (and in particular your VAT) is the actual receipts or invoices that your suppliers gave you for each thing you purchased.

In order to be able to reclaim VAT on something you must hold a valid VAT invoice of some sort from the supplier telling you the exact net and VAT amounts you have been charged (which may not be a formal invoice, it might be a VAT receipt from a petrol station or something like that, the point is it must show the net/VAT breakdown). If you have a receipt that doesn’t itemise the VAT then you can’t claim back the VAT on that but you can still treat it as a business expense (with the gross total in the “net” column and no VAT).

So for each invoice/receipt you would create a “purchase” in QuickFile with the net and VAT amounts as specified by the supplier on their invoice, and ideally attach a scan or electronic copy of the invoice to the purchase record via the Receipt Hub. If you paid for it by credit card then you mark the purchase as paid from the credit card account.

When you get the credit card bill at the end of the month you can use that as a cross-check against QuickFile’s view of the credit card “bank account”, and if there’s anything on the CC bill that isn’t recorded in QuickFile it means you’ve probably lost a receipt somewhere… The actual act of paying the credit card bill is just a bank transfer from your current account to the credit card account.

Thanks for your reply, so basically I have to input every item on the credit card statement as a purchase? (I have the receipts to match statement) to show vat charge. As this seems the only way to do.
Then when the direct debit goes out enter on the bank account and tag each purchase??

Hi again should I set up a bank account in qf called credit card?

Yes to creating purchases - that is the way to record VAT in QuickFile and the best way to keep everything straight (one supplier invoice equals one QF purchase - I even write the QFxxxx reference number on the paper invoice for ease of cross referencing).

If you don’t already have a “credit card” bank account then you will need to create one. When the DD goes out that is just a bank transfer to the credit card account - the actual payments against each purchase will have come out of the CC account at the point when you made the CC transaction to pay the supplier.

Many thanks I’ve set up a credit card account today and listed every transaction. Now I have got a minus figure (eg -£1000.00). Is this right and leave untagged until I now enter a purchase order for each and every item listed so it goes to the correct category etc?

Then when the money has gone out of the current business account tag each item to Credit Card account? But firstly do I enter £1000.00 in the current bus account as an out payment?

Sorry I’ve repeated some bits but just want to clarify as very new to this system, hopefully In a few more weeks it will become much clearer.

Hi @Claireabell,

This is correct, so your credit card account will show a negative balance until the the direct debit is paid from your bank account.

This will be a bank transfer from your bank account to the credit card account which will then need to be tagged against the transactions listed on your statement for that DD collection.

I hope this makes sense?

Beth

That will work for this month, but going forward it may be easier to use the receipt hub to create the purchase record for each receipt as you go along rather than leaving them all to the end of the month, and marking them as paid from the credit card account at that point. Then when you do receive your bill you can simply use that to cross-check against the transactions that will already be listed in the QuickFile credit card account (the dates may not match exactly but the amounts should line up) - if you keep on top of it you shouldn’t have to create any manual transactions in the CC account at all, as they’ll have been created automatically when you marked the purchases as paid.

When the money to pay the credit card bill goes out of your current account you simply tag that as a bank transfer to the credit card account - this will create the matching transaction on the CC side automatically. If you use a bank feed then that should have created the £1000 money out transaction for you, if you don’t then you will need to create it by hand.

P.S. We’re all talking here about “purchases” (sometimes referred to as purchase invoices - the record in your accounts of an invoice you received from a supplier after you’ve bought something), not “purchase orders” (something you send to a supplier to tell them what you want to buy). QuickFile does have a purchase order facility but it isn’t enabled by default.

ok…im just getting stressed now cause my Credit Card account is not saying a NIL balance…any chance you can step by step to see if ive missed anything

Ive listed all transaction on CC account

created a purchase and listed ie category and total so it goes to the vat side correctly

tagged the payment

but CC still showing the minus figure

Please can you advise me

Am I correct in assuming the actual balance of your credit card is £0.00? If so, have you entered the payments and tagged them correctly (as a transfer)?

right I’ve just gone into the bank segment side and noticed that the payment were in green as an incoming payment!

Ive now deleted and now the credit card is nil???

Can you explain this! I’ve clicked on where the money has been allocated and it states the purchase order which matches…so it seems to be corrected now.

NOW GOT ANOTHER ONE TO DO.

so list credit card details in new transactions
leave untagged

create the purchase and category and vat and total to credit card

Then what do I do…stuck on this bit do I click on the purchase order to be paid by credit card?

Which bank account are we talking about here? If everything is correct I would expect to see:

• Current account:
    • “money out” tagged as a transfer to the credit card account
  • Credit card account:
    • “money out” transaction for each purchase, tagged as “payment to a supplier” against the appropriate purchase
    • “money in” tagged as a transfer from the current account (this transaction will have been created automatically when you tagged the matching “money out” on the current account side).

There shouldn’t be anything in the current account that is tagged as “payment to a supplier” for any of the purchases you paid by credit card.

There are often several ways to achieve the same thing in QuickFile. When you create the purchase from a receipt there’s an option at the bottom to tick “paid” and select the credit card account - if you do this then it will create a pre-tagged transaction on the CC account saying “Payment to {name of supplier}”, so you don’t need to enter the CC transactions yourself. The alternative workflow is not to tick the “paid” box, but instead create the transactions yourself in the CC account and click “tag me” on each transaction to link it to the right purchase.

So you either enter all the transactions in the CC account and then tag them, or mark the purchases as “paid” at creation, but not both.

Current account - money for CREDIT CARD IS TAGGED TO purchase or cause of the vat

Credit card account - I listed all purchases left untagged

Stuck on the next bit you do - sorry it all new to me!

I noticed that then money was in the current account transferred I deleted, as the credit card was showing the balance owing. The credit card account then went back to nil balance.

I don’t know what I’ve done??? Help

I’ve also got a purchase order with everything listed on, cause of the vat has to be credited which links to this payment.

Confused cause now the bank balance on the bank account side has not been reduced!