Credit notes for a newcomer to Quick File

Help appreciated. I’m a died in the wool Sage user for over 30 years so Quick file is a complete unknown to me. My director has bought into a company and I have been asked to do the accounts held on Quick file. Chaotic paperwork and just a few days to do 3 months accounts and submit a VAT return. I think i have mastered most of it except for entering a credit note. Having tried doing several ways of doing this which doesn’t include an entry on the bank statement I now have the credit note on the suppliers record but also an invoice for the same amount, which doesn’t exist. The credit is to pay of an outstanding balance on an older invoice.

In QuickFile if you are credit noting an earlier paid invoice with the view to holding those funds on account, the only way to do this would be to enter the original invoice. If this invoice pre-dates any opening balances you have entered, then some adjustment would be needed on the opening balance journal to factor this in.

We have a more general guide on credit notes in QuickFile here.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions on this.

Thanks

I am not entering opening balances just picking up where A N Other left off. The invoice to which the credit note relates was on the system and it has taken 3/4 months to obtain a credit note for goods not delivered. I don’t want to continue entering items and deleting them but the supplier is still showing an outstanding balance equal to the credit note which doesn’t exist. I’m suppose there is an easier way of doing this I just cant find it and time is short.

If you have the original invoice, you can create a credit note from the invoice itself - take a look at the guide I linked to above. The guide does show the client’s side of things, but the supplier side is very similar.

You can chose for this to sit on the suppliers account:

And then you can pay the invoice off using the credit held on their account:

Cracked it - thank you it seems easy when its explained but couldn’t quite get from the knowledge base.

1 Like