Customising invoice template before actually creating the invoice

Hi

I am a very new business and a new user of Quick File and I am trying to customise an invoice template before I actually need to create one. I have accessed the invoice styles screen, clicked on each area and complete the standard information I wish to use, however I can’t see the access to the different invoice styles available. I was also hoping that I could see a blank invoice template to make sure everything is showing correctly but I can’t see a link for this.

I’ve looked at the custom trading styles info but unsure whether this is what I should be doing - I am not a limited company with different trading styles. I already have my own invoice template and was hoping to replicate this as far as possible within QuickFile - the most important thing is my logo. Payment terms and bank details can be entered wherever applicable on whichever style of template I use.

Also, because I carry out a lot of audio typing, I charge per audio minute so I need to be able to list audio file numbers and total minutes for each of those files within the description section of the invoice. This can sometimes mean quite lengthy lists and I am wondering if QuickFile invoice templates will be able to accommodate this.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I would really appreciate your help with this as I want to be prepared for creating invoices at the month end.

Thank you

Hi @DEB08

I’ll try my best to help.

Invoice styles can be customised and applied from the invoice preview screen. This can be done using a draft invoice, so not necessarily one that’s been sent to a client.

It can however require a degree of knowledge of CSS, so if you’re not familiar with this, it can be a bit of a challenge. There is however a short guide here. If you need help doing this, please feel free to send me a private message (click my name, and then ‘Message’), send me an example of what you’re trying to achieve, and I’ll see what I can sort out for you.

[quote=“DEB08, post:1, topic:12050”]
I’ve looked at the custom trading styles info but unsure whether this is what I should be doing - I am not a limited company with different trading styles.[/quote]
Custom trading styles are for businesses who trade under multiple names, for example, Some Business Ltd. trading as Another Business Ltd. I believe the method I mentioned above is your best way forward.

You can set default terms etc., from invoice settings, which can be found here:
Account Settings > Invoice Customisation

You can also set the line default to time event if you wish, and even the unit as minutes which could make your invoices a bit easier to manage based on what you described.

I hope that helps!

Yes thank you - that does help. Having looked at the guide, I certainly wouldn’t be confident in using CSS though. I want to keep everything a simple as possible for the time being. I think the standard template may be fine as long as I can record everything I need to within the description fields.
Do I just need to click on clone template to start entering my company and payment details and also upload my logo? I’m assuming the system then stores this so that all my invoices look the same when I create them.

Thanks again.

Clone template is part of the trading styles module. To enter your payment details, you need to go to Invoice Customisation under Account Settings:

Then enter them in the box, and click off the box and it’ll save for you (you’ll see a yellow banner confirming this).

As you mentioned above you charge by the audio minute, you can also change the unit here too:

Once you’ve changed it, you’ll notice it appears as this unit on the invoice and the invoice creation screen.

I think I’ve done all I can to set up - I’ll just have to see what the invoice looks like when I create one at the end of the month.

This has been really helpful - thank you!

1 Like