Discount isn't applied evenly in P&L report

I use different codes to track my sales of each of my services and today I needed to apply a discount using the discount box next to “add a new line”. I wondered how the discount it would appear in my P&L account and found that it wasn’t spreading the discount evenly across all 3 of the services listed in my invoice.

So my invoice was:

Dance Floor Hire - £400
Equipment hire - £200
Equipment hire - £200

There was a 12% (ish) discount so £100 but my P&L account showed a £300 increase on Dance Floor Hire and a £400 increase on Equipment hire.

I would have either expected the discount to be spread, or for the discount to be listed as an expense personally.

Am I doing anything wrong?

Hi @ukpartydj

I’ve managed to locate your account; would you be able to provide me with an invoice number so I can take a look please?

I’ve had a look into this and when an overall percentage is applied it is calculated on the full invoice amount but applied only to the first nominal code. This is by design to avoid rounding differences when applying and totaling percentages on individual nominal codes.

If you’d like to apply discounts that are set against individual nominal codes you can add them as negative amounts on their own invoice lines as follows.

Thanks, I thought it might have been an issue you might want to be aware of, but I’m not too concerned and may do this in future. Thank you.

1 Like

This has caused me a problem and I only found out about it by accident. Totally incorrect amounts have been posted to two of my nominal codes instead of the discount being applied to both. Applying the discounts to each line would not only take more time, it would look very messy on the invoice sent to the customer. Surely each line could be rounded 5/4 and then the total checked with any odd difference being applied to one line. That way the figures would only be wrong by an odd pence rather than by the very large amounts that they are now. If this is not possible, I would suggest that a warning message is displayed when a global discount is added and there are multiple lines on the invoice. That way at least the user can think about an alternative rather than not knowing about the issue.

This topic was automatically closed after 4 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.