Dowloading Ebay and Amazon sales directly into Quick File

Hi
The question is gonna relate to Amazon and Ebay sellers. As under MTD rules the qualified businesses must keep their at least daily sales in a digital form. I was wondering if there is possibility to download Ebay and Amazon sales directly into Quick File. At the moment we post monthly sales from Ebay and Amazon reports as a one figure but under MTD daily sales must be transferred via digital link directly into the software. Do you have a solution for this? My clients who are Ebay and Amazon sellers trade with low value items and have thousands of transaction so posting them as a single items is not an option.
Thanks.

You could argue that that is the case if you use one of the retail VAT schemes where you just record sales as a daily VAT inclusive total and work out the VAT proportion later. But for standard VAT accounting where Amazon or eBay calculates the VAT on each sale individually, you should be fine with transferring the totals into QuickFile monthly as long as that can be done electronically rather than by hand.

Your individual sales are already recorded in digital form - at Amazon/eBay - and as long as you can trace a digital chain from there to your submitted VAT return I’d personally say that satisfies MTD. I don’t know what CSV export formats these platforms provide but even if you have to add a SUM in excel to get the totals that would seem to be OK as long as the final figures can be uploaded into QuickFile rather than hand transcribed or copy/pasted.

(Usual disclaimer - I’m not a trained accountant, this is my interpretation of the documentation I’ve read from HMRC)

Hi
Thank you for your answer. So how can I upload Excel SUM into Quick File?

The documentation on how to import invoices from CSV is here:

Once you know which columns are which in the Amazon/eBay download then what you’d basically have to do is

1. Open the downloaded CSV in excel/google sheets/etc
  2. Add a second sheet to the workbook
  3. Put the right column headers for QuickFile into row 1 (see the article above)
  4. In row 2 put fixed values for things like the client name (“Amazon sales”), the last day of the month for the issue and payment dates, and then for the gross and VAT amount columns put =SUM(Sheet1!C2:C1048576) for the appropriate columns from the downloaded sheet.
  5. Save this second sheet as CSV and upload it into QuickFile

Once you’ve worked out the columns once you should be able to save a template with a blank sheet for the Amazon CSV and with the QuickFile sheet pre populated, then all you need to do each month is copy the template workbook, import that month’s CSV into the blank sheet, then export and upload the other sheet.

You can get more creative with your formulas to automatically calculate things like the date (latest transaction date from the Amazon sheet) and description (e.g. ="Sales for " & YEAR(A2) & "-" & MONTH(A2))

1 Like

Thanks a lot, it is very helpful.

Brilliant, thank you.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.