Ebay Fees with Quick File

Hi I am having a problem with logging all my ebay fee payments and it totally messing with my account figures please help. Also I have deleted some paypal transactions is there away of importing them all again? Thank you

You haven’t given us enough information to be able to help. What is the nature of the problem - are your accounts showing too much money or too little? What is the precise sequence of steps you go through to account for an eBay sale and the associated fees?

Without this kind of information the only people with any chance of helping are QuickFile staff who can look into your account.

@ian_roberts Hi Ian sorry for the lack of information I am a newbie. What is happing is when I make a payment from my paypal account to Ebay it shows as going out but the transaction is not tagged so it is not coming off of my profit and loss when i run a report so my profit is showing a lot higher then it should hope the info helps.

I wouldn’t expect this sort of thing to be tagged automatically by QuickFile without help. You’ll need to tag the transactions manually, as purchases from a supplier called something like “eBay fees”, in order to make them appear on P&L.

If the transaction description is in a regular format you may be able to set up an automated bank tagging rule to make it tag future similar transactions for you.

@ian_roberts Thank you Ian i have tried this and it still seems to be way out. Also I have deleted some transactions via my paypal is there anyway of getting them back? Also do you know of any other solution that would make things easier as all my business is done via ebay and paypal and quick file does not seem to be recording this correctly

@ian_roberts Hi ian I also have some transactions starting with FUNDS AVAILABILITY do you know what theses should be marked down as they are also un tagged

1 Like

Hi @djtit83

Firstly, it’s worth noting that when you say “Quickfile does not seem to be recording this correctly” - the software is only as good as the data it’s given. Google the expression “GIGO”.

Secondly, QuickFile isn’t specific to any scenario - it’s a platform built for multiple industries and therefore flexible. The way you are doing business (e.g. selling things through eBay), isn’t unusual, and can be dealt with easily within QuickFile. But because it’s flexible, it can’t pick up that “ebay” is a supplier, and “ebay fees” would be a charge - it doesn’t tag automatically unless you teach it via bank tagging rules (as @ian_roberts) mentioned above.

Thirdly, I’m not 100% sure how eBay take their fees, but from a bit of googling I take it that they invoice you on a monthly basis, and then you pay, either manually or automatically from PayPal or another method.

So, what you would have essentially, it a set up for PayPal money in and out, as per the guide here. You basically have 3 transactions for ever payment coming in and being transferred to your bank account. I’ll show you an example with a payment for £10 from a sale, but PayPal fees of £0.50 being taken too.

1. £10.00 would come into the PayPal Account, tagged to the £10 customer invoice
  2. £9.50 would be transferred the main bank account, tagged as a transfer
  3. £0.50 tagged to a supplier invoice as PayPal fees

For ebay invoices, I’d imagine it would be the reverse but in 2 steps. Let’s say we have eBay fees of £1.00, you would have:

1. £1.00 tagged to a supplier invoice for eBay
  2. £1.00 transferred from your main bank account to your PayPal Account

Hopefully that helps with that :smile:

Fourthly, in terms of missing payments. How many are you missing? What time frame are you missing? Is it a week, a month, or bits here and there? If the timeframe isn’t huge, you could just go through the PayPal statement, and add them manually.

If there’s a few missing from a period of say, 2 weeks, you could download a CSV file from PayPal for that time period, and import it, as per the guide here.

Overall, if you tag things as per the above, seller and transaction fees should be accounted for, and therefore taken off your profit. Similarly, any money coming in would be tagged to an invoice and therefore added to your profit.

And as you’ve just added about “Funds Availability”, from looking at PayPal, it would be funds that are not yet available to withdraw. If I understand the situation correctly, the following topic should help. I believe the situation is similar:
http://community.quickfile.co.uk/t/paypal-temporary-holds/4835

Edit
I should also apologise if the post is long, but I tried to cover everything for you. Also, apologies if I completely missed the point of your post.

2 Likes

@Parker1090 Hi parker thank you very much for the info I am a newbie so I will try and work through the info you sent me it does seem to be very helpful but am not very good at these sort of things lol

@Parker1090 Hi parker still can’t seem to get it right not sure theres much I can do as am a newbie lol

Hi djtit83,

Paypal produces a 1 - 2 page “financial report” of the total sales, total fees, etc for every month end.
I use that monthly report’s totals for the entries into the accounts, so its just one monthly entry for all sales, one entry for all fee’s, one for all refunds etc

1 Like

I sell on Ebay, Amazon and my website.
Ref Ebay - I treat Paypal as a bank account. Use tagging rules so the daily Paypal fee auto allocates. Ebay fees are billed monthly and I manually tag each month.
I let the money build up in Paypal and transfer as I need, say once or twice a month as a bank transfer.
Ebay is a supplier.
My Ebay customers are set up as Ebay UK, Ebay EU and Ebay Non Eu due to the different VAT treatment - so despite having 100s of Ebay customers in effect I have 3.
It seems to work OK for me.

3 Likes

Hi I seen to have sorted the paypal fees log in but my p&l still seem to be way out and am not to sure why really confusing my purchases are find because i log them manually it just my sales and my withdrawals that I seem to be having a problem with