Editing Customer records & balances

Am I missing something?? I have imported the customer data into QF and want to run through and manually edit some fields eg set the opening balances.

If I CREATE a new customer I can see the field to enter the opening balance, but if I import the whole file, I can’t see any way to set the opening balance (and I don’t want to have to start creating invoices to set them).

Also some of our customers have a credit balance on their account, can I enter that as a negative balance or am I going to have to create some sort of prepayment

Hi @Scooby_7

It isn’t possible to specify an opening balance when importing clients unfortunately.

However, the process actually creates an invoice to simulate the opening balance. This response from my colleague may help.

What it may be better to do, is to import the opening balances as invoices, which can also create the clients at the same time. This guide may help: Importing sales and purchase invoices

Regarding credits on account, it’s similar, but you would enter a dummy bank transaction. There’s a more detailed post on this here

It’s worth noting that if you’re coming from another system (which I’m assuming is the case, given you have outstanding balances), your opening balances will need to be adjusted to account for this.

Please let us know if you need any help with this.

Urgh! I think I’m going to manually enter the customer file (260 customers) and set the opening balances as I go, then receive payments into the bank from those customers who are in credit so the customer balances are all correct then journal whatever I need to so the TB matches the old system too

Hopefully it’s a procedure we won’t have to perform again for a long while :grin:

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.