Emails sent from a Yahoo email address being rejected

All of the invoices I have sent to my clients today, some new but also lots who have received emails before, have all been returned by the mailer: mailer-daemon@mail.quickfile.co.uk. This is the message I am receiving on each of them…
Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Sent: 29 Mar 2016 17:55:45 +0100
Subject: New Invoice Created

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

EMAIL ADDRESS WAS HERE

Error Type: SMTP
Remote server (65.54.188.110) issued an error.
hMailServer sent: .
Remote server replied: 550 5.7.0 (BAY004-MC3F52) Unfortunately, messages from (5.2.17.181) on behalf of (yahoo.co.uk) could not be delivered due to domain owner policy restrictions.

hMailServer

Could someone please help?
Thanks in advance.

Hi @hempsell

I see from the error you’re using a Yahoo email address, but I’m guessing you’re not using Yahoo’s mail servers?

Because QuickFile uses it’s own mail servers, instead of (in this case) Yahoo’s, the email is being rejected. What I’d recommend is use Yahoo’s SMTP email server.

This article may be of help to you:
http://community.quickfile.co.uk/t/improving-email-reliability/8904

If you need help setting up the SMTP settings on QuickFile, please let us know :slight_smile:

Thank you for your response. However I am an absolute technophobe and your reply makes no sense at all.
I don’t understand why existing clients, who I’ve sent plenty of quickfile invoices to in the past, are still having emails returned in this way.

Receiving mail servers tighten up their policies from time to time on spam. As email spam is increasing Yahoo have likely stepped up their validation.

What’s happening here is the email is being sent from our server, but made to appear from a @yahoo.com address, this is known as spoofing. This is generally becoming less feasible now due to the way these providers are tightening up their spam policies.

The absolute simplest fix to this problem it to have your outbound invoices originate from noreply@quickfile.co.uk, if you want one of us can do this for you.

If you want to still send from your address you’d need to setup your SMTP details on QuickFile as per the instructions here.

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN4724.html

Yes please, could you please fix it for me. I will email all of my clients to tell them to expect their invoices to come directly from Quickfile.

Thank you,

Becky Hempsell

Hi @hempsell

I’ve just updated your account to use our noreply email address.

If you’re still having issues, please let me know :slight_smile:

When I send an invoice to a Hotmail account I get this message sent back -
The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

" email address I have sent it to"
Error Type: SMTP
Remote server (65.55.92.168) issued an error.
hMailServer sent: .
Remote server replied: 550 5.7.0 (SNT004-MC3F13) Unfortunately, messages from (5.2.17.181) on behalf of (yahoo.co.uk) could not be delivered due to domain owner policy restrictions.

Any idea of what might be wrong?

Hi @fatmatt

I’ve merged your post to this topic as it’s relating to the same issue. Please see the posts above for the reasoning, and a fix.

If you need further help, please let us know.

Hi I have tried to change my SMTP email settings as the thread suggests but it just times out. Not sure I am putting in the right information as its not particually clear what you have to enter.

It just comes up with this message -
Your SMTP server did not reply in a timely fashion. Please ensure the port number is correct and any firewall on the SMTP server is allowing outside access.

i have tried the 3 suggested port numbers

Hi @fatmatt

I’ve just done a quick Google search on this and found the following - can you confirm that your settings match please?

Yahoo! SMTP server address: smtp.mail.yahoo.com
Yahoo! SMTP user name: your Yahoo! Mail account
Yahoo! SMTP password: your Yahoo! Mail password
Yahoo! SMTP port: 465
That’s it.
However, it must be pointed out that Yahoo’s SMTP comes with a strict limit of 500 outbound emails per day (and each message can be sent up to 100 recipients), in order to prevent spammers from using it for their unsolicited messages.

There’s also no mention that SSL has to be enabled, so please try it without. (Edit: If this doesn’t work, try enabling it and see if that does make a difference)

Hopefully that’ll work for you :slight_smile: