EUR to USD exchange - suspense account wrong balance

In my company I use 3 currencies: GBP, USD, and EUR.

When I exchange currencies between GBP and another currency everything is fine, I tag transactions as bank transfer between account, system finds transaction on another account and it records it correctly in GBP.

However, when I exchange between 2 non-GBP currencies (eg. EUR to USD) the suspense account shows 2 different amounts, eg. when I exchange 1000EUR to USD it will show 909.45 on the Credit and 910.89 on the Debit account.

Is there any way to fix it other then manually going through all translations?

Screenshot attached.

Hi @Bart

QuickFile doesn’t actually support transfers between two non-GBP accounts, for this reason. You would need a GBP account in the middle.

Can I ask, how did you record this on your account?

@QFMathew I just tagged the EUR transaction as “Bank Transfer between accounts” and the system automatically found the USD transaction on the other end.

Could You help me to understand how to do it properly with GBP in the middle?

Hi @Bart

Please accept my apologies, and disregard my previous post.

This is supported, but has only been added recently.

The difference in the GBP values you’re seeing is because of the exchange rate. So where the exchange rate is different to the actual rate that day (e.g. because the source of the exchange was higher/lower), you end up with a currency gain/loss.

Some transfers, including the non-GBP to non-GBP transfers leave a trace in the Suspense Account, which is code 9998.

For example, I’ve just done a transfer of 100 EUR to 115 USD. But this doesn’t match the exchange rate, so there’s a discrepancy of £0.52 showing in the suspense account:

To remove this, you need to journal the difference to Currency Charges (7902), similar to this:

Which leaves this trace in the suspense account:

The overall effect is £0.00.

Hope that helps!

1 Like

@QFMathew Perfect! This is what I needed.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.