First VAT submission

I am to submit my first VAT return , for period of 01/06/2015 to 28/02/2016, based on a backdated VAT registration of 1/06/2015.

I have had to reissue all invoices issued since that date with the VAT amount outstanding; this has all worked well and is bringing the right amount to declare and to hand over to HMRC. But I understand I can also claim back VAT paid on certain, if not most, purchases, and I can do this from the date of registering as a ltd company (feb 2013)

How do I go about this as my purchases records to not specify the parts which are VAT.

Thank you in advance for your advice,

Fleur

You would usually do this as a manual adjustment on your first return so you don’t need to have the VAT itemised in QuickFile as long as you still have the original VAT receipts for any future auditing purposes.

Thank you for your reply.

I am sorry but please could you explain? I still need to calculate the amount of VAT i have paid in my purchases, which is what I wanted to do in quick file. I want to avoid having to access each paid receipt to jot down the vat paid.

Hope this clarifies my request a bit more?

Also, going forward I think I need to amend the suppliers profiles (many are recurring), updating that they charge 20% vat- will this then auto calculate it for my next vat return?

Hi @fleurfocus

When you come to submit the VAT return on QuickFile, you will be presented with an adjustment box, where you can account for things which our software may not know about or doesn’t support.

As for anything recurring (invoices or purchases), you would have to update them individually. Again, the system doesn’t know which of them are VAT-able.

I hope that helps

1 Like

As QuickFile doesn’t record any VAT content when you are not VAT registered it doesn’t know what to do so there is no way to easily get this info out. What you could do is look at the suppliers that are VAT registered and then view only invoices from a particular date range to give you the total value for you to work out the amount to reclaim.

No matter which way you do this there are going to be some external calculations needed.

Yes. Anything with VAT assigned will be pulled into the next return automatically. As for editing existing recurring schedules;