Flat rate VAT change during reporting period and filing a return

Since the new tax year I’ll be one of many who will increase the flat rate VAT they pay as per the chancellor’s recent changes. However the new tax year cuts across a reporting period for me. How can I file my quarterly return through QuickFile when I have a one rate of flat rate VAT for 2 months and another for 1 month?

There is a similar post to this one here.

In a nutshell you’d need to set the dates for the first 2 months in the period and commit the return (without submitting to HMRC). Then change the FR VAT % in your VAT settings and commit another return for the remaining month. You would then need to total boxes 1-9 from each of these returns and submit manually via the HMRC online portal.

The other thing you can do is run the report as above for the two periods, note down the values (boxes 1-9) without commiting then run again for the 3 months and use the adjustment boxes to get to the correct net figures. You can then adjust and submit electronically to HMRC.

Hope that helps!

Thank you, that post didn’t appear in search. I think I may run the calculations in QF then submit direct to HMRC then as you suggest, thanks for the tip.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.