Forum search box invisible

There is no search function for me on the community website - or more correctly, I could only find it by accident when my mouse moved over it as it appears to have been designed by a fan of Douglas Adams - it’s a white square on a white background. Also, above where I’m typing is a grey square that lights up in blue if I hover over it. I have no idea what it’s mean to do as there’s no help nor any text. Actually, I’ve just discovered a whole bunch of them that light up. Some of them have tool-hints. Perhaps someone can tell me what the one is after ‘Insert Date ./ Time’ - maybe, I dunno, someone who tested the site?

Hi @RJL

There are icons there but these are loaded from a library called Font Awesome. It’s used by Discourse, the software behind our forum.

From past experience, these are usually blocked by an ad blocker or another extension in the browser.

What browser are you using (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Edge, etc.)? Do you have any extensions that may be causing this? What if you try the forum in another web browser - does that make a difference?

Firefox - and the ad blocker is switched off for QuickFile. They don’t work on other browsers either (they used to work).

Ah hah! I had a look at the browser log and it was showing intermittent errors to qfcommunity.b-cdn.net (but I could visit them manually). Did a Ctrl-F5 in Firefox and they now appear. I’ve noticed this on my own code - FF getting a bit agressive about cacheing. One to remember for others. Thanks for the help.

Same on one of the other browsers - all trying to copy FF no doubt.

There was an issue a little while back where Firefox was being stricter than Chrome in interpreting the content-security-policy on the community site - maybe the same thing happened again more recently.

Thanks - I’d have searched for it originally… but couldn’t see the search box! I develop web software and have noticed that some of these changes affect our automated test-runs too. Seems to be a pursuit (in browsers) of the appearance of speed vs utility.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.