How to change invoice number from new tax year?

Hi, how can I change the invoice number from the new tax year? I want to start the new tax year with invoice No 000001. Not continue in the numbers from last year.

And is it possible somehow to lock my old tax year when I will be finished with the bookkeeping? I don´t want that on Dashboard I have a mishmash of all years together.

Thank you.

Hi @Zora17

Invoice numbers should be continuous, so there isn’t a way to reset them back to 00001, especially if it clashes.

You could however, prefix it with the year (e.g. 2021-0001) and we’ll automatically continue the sequence. But you would have to do this each year.

Thank you very much for your reply. And the second part of my question?
And is it possible somehow to lock my old tax year when I will be finished with the bookkeeping? I don´t want that on Dashboard I have a mishmash of all years together.

Apologies for missing the second part of the post!

You can lock a year to prevent modifications to the data. You can either do this by setting the lock manually, or running the year end tool. But this doesn’t remove the data from your dashboard.

There’s more information on the year end tool, here: Simplified year-end tool
With locking the account, you can find this option in Account Settings >> All Settings >> Account Lock Date

I tried to change the invoices numbers with 2021 but it is possible only for the single invoices. How can I set up it also for the recurring invoices? That it is valid for all invoices.

Thank you.

Once you’ve issued your first invoice with the new sequence, any subsequent invoices will follow on from that, including invoices from a recurring profile

I thought so too, but it doesn’t work for recurring invoices, only for simple invoices

so now I have 2 different numbers of invoices

The number for the recurring invoices is the profile reference, not the invoice. When a new invoice is created from the recurring profile (which depends on the schedule), then it will adopt the existing invoice numbering format.

and when I will be able to see this new format? When it will be sent? Because I created again a new recurring invoice from the right place - and no change. Even it is activated and waiting for the sending

When the new invoice is created from the recurring template, it will adopt the new format. The recurring profile itself has it’s own reference (beginning with “R”, as shown in your screenshot).

When the invoice will be created depends on your own scheduling. If you’ve set it to be created once every week, then it will follow this schedule. But the “next date” will show along the top of the profile.

If you’ve created a recurring invoice to start today, there’s a delay on it starting, just in case you need to correct an error before the invoice itself is generated. But it will follow the schedule.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.