How to credit note more than invoice value

Hi There,

Please can you tell me how I credit note a client for a higher value than the original invoice?

My client paid £225.00, there was a problem so we are giving them £345.00 back but when I try and either credit the invoice it wont let me because the value is higher and if i try and raise a new invoice with a negative balance it says it must be greater than £0.00.

Thanks

Hi @charlotte

You should be able to create a new invoice with a negative balance. Where did you see the error about the value?

What you would need in this case, is either raise the higher value credit note (but this will require a bank transaction), or credit the invoice and add a prepayment for the diference to their account as a “goodwill gesture”. There’s a guide on recording this here which may help.

It says at the top of the invoice screen when i try and save a new invoice with a negative balance that it must be greater than zero (see attached)

The one thing that stands out from your screenshot is it has an invoice number, which a new invoice wouldn’t have.

Is this a completely brand new invoice, or has it been created from raising a credit note against an existing invoice, and then amended?

I copied a previous invoice? I will try with a brand new invoice.

Thank you, that worked

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.