How to mark personal drawings?

Hi, I’m testing out your software to perhaps make accounting easier than spreadsheets…and eventually be ready for MTD.

One thing I am currently confused on are personal drawings as a sole trader to my personal bank account. I have my business bank linked, should I just removed those transactions or tag them as something specific?

Hi @sirsquidman,

You may find this guide useful: Self employed expenses

There are a couple of ways to do it, both outlined in the guide

Please let us know if we can help further :slight_smile:

Okay, great thanks. Seems like removing them is the simplest and cleanest option then. Thank you.

1 Like

I’m not sure I agree with this. It will affect your bank balance if you just delete transactions and then the money goes where? I’m assuming (as a non-accountant) this balance will end up sitting in the suspense account so would need to go somewhere later anyway?

Hi @Lurch

You can delete the transactions as they’re not relevant for the business. Some people don’t have a dedicated account for their business and just use their current account so this method works best. But it is easier and recommend to have a dedicated business current account.

If it is a business current account, tagging them to the drawings account is likely to be the best way to handle it as this leaves the bank balance correct, as you mention.

Hmm okay, so I should actually leave them in? This is a business account, as I mentioned this was drawings to a personal account.

What’s the best way to add them back in and what is the correct way to tag them as personal drawings?

How were they added in the first place? You can upload a CSV exported from your bank and it will check for duplicates before importing so should just fill in the gaps.

Just tag them as drawings. There is an option for this when you click ‘tag me’.

You tag them as proprietor drawings. It doesn’t matter whether it’s a business or personal account, if you have drawn money from business income and you are self employed and it’s unrelated to a business expense, it’s a proprietor drawing.

1 Like

Right, gotcha! Thanks for the tips there.