Invoice numbers when using the multi invoice entry form

Hi

When using the multi invoice entry form, I wonder if there is any way to input your own invoice numbers rather than have QF automatically allocate one.

I know you can edit the invoice numbers once the invoice have been generated but when inputting over 30 invoices in one go it becomes not only a pain but time consuming and then defeats the point of multi invoice entry.

Any advice or pointers would be gratefully received.

Nick

1 Like

Hi @NickG

What we’ve always aimed to do with the bulk entry forms is keep them somewhat streamlined to make it quick and efficient for those entering the details. We can certainly see what interest there is from the community before investigating further (as we do with all features) for you?

Is there any particular reason you want to input your invoice numbers? Maybe we can suggest a workaround for you?

Hi

Many thanks for your prompt response.

The invoices I send out to my customers are generated by a company called Ebillz. These invoices already have their own invoice numbers.

The invoice numbers that QF allocates on the multi invoice entry form does not match the correct invoice numbers, so I was hoping that without having to go in and edit each individual invoice there was a quick fix.

Regards
Nick

Does Ebillz support Zapier, or have an API/Webhook of some sort?

We have an API to create invoices, and I’m wondering if it would be of benefit to try and create them that way and automate it a little bit. If they have a webhook (their support team would be able to confirm this), you could link it to Zapier which could even save you a headache with code.

If you are however interested in the API option, providing Ebillz has their own API, this should be possible (depending on their setup). You could either ask your current developer about this if you have one, or you’re more than welcome to post it on our Marketplace category on this forum.

Either way - I’ve changed this thread to the ‘Feature’ category, so other users can add their vote here to get invoice number added. We actively monitor all feature requests on these forums.

Hi

I am not sure if they have their own API, but I know that they charge for any work that needs doing.

As the invoices are generated using their own system I would not require QF to do the same.

Just need a quick easy fix to be able to change/modify the invoice numbers that QF generates using the multi invoice form.

Until that is possible is there any way to turn off the QF invoice number generation on the multi invoice form?

Regards
Nick

Hi @NickG

I’m not sure if Ebillz is cloud based, but most cloud based applications have an API of some sort.

Unfortunately this isn’t possible. It’s automatically generated by the system. I’m not aware of this issue coming up before, but as I said, we’ll monitor this topic and see if there is a demand for this sort of things from the community. The vast majority of our features come from feedback.

Maybe importing your invoices from a CSV would be a better solution in this case, that will allow you to nominate your own invoice numbers.

As @QFMathew mentions, when we gradually add columns on for every detail, it loses it’s original appeal in terms of lightweight data entry.

Hi, have just read this feed whilst searching for a solution to the same problem… we use an outside product that generates and issues our invoices and so would be interested in being able to turn off the auto invoice feature. I have just input approx 40 invoices without realising that QF would auto generate an invoice number for them. My fault but frustrating now that I need to back track and change all the invoice numbers.

Hi @Picasso_HR

I’m not sure this is something that could be done (@Glenn may be able to advise further on that).

But there are a couple of ways to specify your own number:

• importing a CSV file would allow you to specify an invoice number when importing them
  • Using our API would allow you to specify the number when creating the invoice
  • you can specify your own invoice number when creating the invoice on an individual basis

If you’re using 3rd party software, I’d recommend looking at our API as this would save you a headache. If they’re not able to support our API, then Zapier may be an option

I would recommend going down the CSV route if you want strict control over invoice numbering.

The multi-invoice entry form was always intended for fast data entry, adding more columns results in the entry process becoming more cumbersome for all users. There’s also the issue of how many columns you can display on a web page before you need to introduce side scrolling.