Is Quickfile what I need for my business?

Hi,

Apologies in advance (hence the question) numbers has never been my strong point!

I am self-employed (sole trader) with currently 3 different jobs! I have been having a nightmare book keeping this last few years and desperately need to use some sort of software to help me keep organized. What I want to know, is Quickfile right for me??

I have a driving job which includes logging mileage and cash earnings…
I work as an Actor where I get paid by cheque every few weeks…
I also run an Internet based business, where I purchase physical stock and also digital/software related expenses and get paid directly in to my bank account.

I need ONE place to log all of my Expenses & Earnings that will help me with my tax returns and also to keep track of profit and loss. Is this easy to use for doing these tasks???

I hope you can help, thanks for taking the time.
Steve

Hi @stevelath

Firstly, no need to apologise - we’ll try our best to help!

The 3 jobs you mention - are you paid as an employee or as a self employed person? If the answer is self employed, then I believe QuickFile would be useful to you.

I won’t answer as to whether or not QuickFile is the right way to go (I’m biased ;)). There are other users on the forum I’m sure would be more than happy to give you their feedback on our software and it’s ease of use. But for you to understand how easy it can be to create things such as income, expense records etc., there are a wide range of articles in our knowledgebase which will show you how they can be done.

What I would recommend is signing up to QuickFile as it’s free until you hit 1000 ledger entries (and even then only £45+VAT a year). If you don’t like it, you can close your account and delete your data. If you love it, then that’s brilliant! :slightly_smiling:

What’s even better, we have features such as project tagging which would allow you to tag specific invoices and expenses to each ‘job’ (one for acting, one for driving etc), so you could even see how profitable one is compared to the other.

I hope that helps, but if you have further questions, please don’t hesitate to ask away! We have a forum used by the staff (myself and colleagues), accountants and other users

[Edit]
There’s a full list of all our features here. If you ever find that there’s something that should be on QuickFile but isn’t, we actively monitor the forums for suggestions, and if there’s a demand for them then we are happy to investigate them

Hi Steve,

I am one of the aforemore mentioned accountants and I would say that it could be useful for you. You could separate your income and expenditure out in the software so they can be seen together but still easily combined when it comes to making your tax return.

I do know a couple of people that use it for multiple jobs but I would recommend trying it out and seeing what works best for you.

Kind regards,
Chris

1 Like

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

I am paid all by being self-employed, just multiple types of payment and different types of expenses.

I will take a look at the knowledgebase and features thanks!

I appreciate you are biased :wink: it was more the question if I can easy input and track these types of book keeping with this software and if it gives me a clear profit & loss each month after inputting expenses and income, that’s what I need to be able to do.

Thanks,
Steve

Thanks Chris!

I will be taking a look through the knowledgebase and features. Would you suggest I wait till the new tax year to start now??

Cheers,
Steve

I’d start straight away, you can keep it in parallel with whatever you are using now to see how it compares and see if everything tallies over the same periods. You don’t need to use Quickfile to submit your year ends so you can simply close out the year in Quickfile and then carry on ‘live’ in the next tax year. That’s pretty much how I started out using it so I got a few months practice without worrying about cocking it up!

1 Like

Hi Steve,

There is something to be said for starting straight away (ie practice like Lurch said). I would recommend that leave it to the year end and then you can post the journals for the balance sheet and start with a correct set of books.

Thanks,
Chris

1 Like