Issue Credit note to customer

HI all, I have been asked by a customer to issue a credit note instead of holding balance on account. Originally before the client merged with another client they both paid the same invoice. Part of the overpayment has been used on one invoice with the balance held on account. They have now asked me for a credit note and I cannot see how to do this.

The payment from the customer was on the 04/04/2018 and used towards invoice number #1103201903 this has left £44.92 on account.

Can you please help. Hayley

Hi @Fusion

There isn’t a way to create a credit note from a balance held on account. These are typically created from an invoice; holding the funds on account would be the same as the credit note (you still hold the funds in either case).

However, you can refund the balance if required, which can be done by the steps in this post: Refund on prepayments

HI all, along the lines of this I issued a customer with a refund but it appears my husband has not tagged the bank payment to her original invoice. He has allocated to manual payments as there was joint work done on the invoice. Can I delete those manual payments and tag the bank payment without deleting the refund/credit he has raised? The bank entry is 23/01/18 so need to sort for tax return.
Hayley

Hello @Fusion

It would depend on whether the refund is linked to the manual payment. If the one created the other (e.g. you received the money and then refunded it), then it wouldn’t be possible as it would leave the account unbalanced.

If they are separate, then it shouldn’t be a problem.