Journals and Payroll

Hi, im a bit confused, ive followed the example in the journal payroll section but its not working out.

On the payslip (from the accountant) it has
Gross pay - £832.00 - Red column
Employeers NI - £18.03 - Red column
PAYE - £0.00 - Green column
NI - £15.72 - Green column
Nett Pay - £816.28 - Green column

But when put in the columns as stated on the journal knowledge base page its incorrect Red column totals 850.08 and Green column totals 832.00

Due to this i cannot save it… Am i doing something wrong?

Many thanks

Hi @Hayles

The exact contacts of a journal isn’t something we’re really able to advise on I’m afraid, as this would generally be best answered by your accountant.

But then why does the journal not let me save it?

The journal needs to balance. If it doesn’t balance you won’t be able to save it.

Hmm, okay… Well this is a bit of a pain as something must be incorrect because this is what i have from the accountant. Is there another way of login the wages?

I would check with your accountant that you are entering everything correctly. They will be able to advise if there is something missing.

The other way is this:

Thank you for that, i shall check with the accountant but maybe use this for now.

The “red column” is right (assuming £832 is “gross wages” 7000 and £18.03 is “employer’s NI” 7006), but for the green column what you need to do is put the total of everything you owe to HMRC - employer’s NI plus income tax plus employee’s NI (I presume that’s what “NI” means here) - all against the “PAYE” nominal code 2210.

• Gross pay £832.00 debit “gross wages” (7000) or “director’s salaries” (7001) depending whether it’s employees or directors.
  • Employer’s NI £18.03 debit “employer’s NI” (7006)
  • Employer’s NI + employee’s NI + tax £15.72 + £18.03 = £33.75 credit “PAYE” (2210)
  • Net pay £816.28 credit “net wages” (2220)

This should make it all balance. Basically gross pay is made up of net pay plus tax plus employee’s NI, and “PAYE” is made up of employee’s NI plus employer’s NI plus tax.

And turn “post net wages to balance sheet only” to “ON”, then when you tag the actual salary payment out of your bank account it’ll go to 2220 and balance that out nicely.

1 Like

Ian, you star Thank you so much, that makes perfect sense, i thought i must of been doing something wrong… Thanks once again :kiss:

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.