Move direct debit from gocardless

I started a subscription service and took my first direct debit authorisation today. As it caught me by surprise I hadn’t really researched the method to use.

I authorised the direct debit directly through gocardless, then set up a recurring invoice via quickfile. I didn’t know about pre-authorising direct debit payments through quickfile previously - I know I should have done this now.

It’s only one customer, so not too bad, but I don’t know how to proceed from here. Each month the customer will be sent an invoice stating it is unpaid, and I’d have to manually log the payments each time.

Is there a better way? I did a bit of research but it no longer seems possible to move the direct debit from gocardless to quickfile.

Hi @pcrepairs

It does seem to vary from account to account, so you may or may not be able to add an existing GoCardless pre-auth into QuickFile. I appreciate that that’s a bit broad, but it’s a restriction from GoCardless’ side.

There’s instructions on this here that may help with this.

The best way to issue a request for a authorisation is to do it within QuickFile itself. If you go into a client view (Sales >> View all clients >> Select a client), there’s an option to request an authorisation in the More Options menu.

If you manage to set it all up OK, you can then go back and amend the recurring invoice to auto-bill using the direct debit.

I hope that helps