Nominal code help

I’m a dog walker and not sure what nominal code I should use for things such as; poo bags, dog treats, towels, id tags and leads?

I would see ‘General Purchases’ as suitable. This category is used for items (including stock) that are used for products or services you sell on.

Hope that helps!

But I don’t sell them on. They are things I use for the running of my business. Like a gardener would use a shovel for example.

It may be best to double check with an accountant, but I would see them as part of your service (poo bags and treats anyway). The thing to consider is are they a cost associated with your service. For example, if you sell more of your service, as you buying more of these?

As for dog tags and leads etc., I’m not sure there would be a nominal code suitable. You could perhaps make your own under expenses, called something along the lines of “Pet Accessories”?

They are types of overheads/consumables. You won’t find an exact match for these on the Chart of Accounts so I’d suggest creating a new nominal code.

1 Like

Thank you for the help. I have created a new nominal code.