Payments to subbies report

It would be really really helpful if there was a way of pulling up a report that showed payments to subcontractors within a certain period.
Each month we need to complete a CIS300, which is on a separate system, and that’s fine, I don’t expect QF to be able to do that bit. In order to complete the report currently what I do is open up the bank, search for the required date period, and then look through the transactions and tick the ones that were to subbies (by having to remember who all the subbies were) and then export the data. If the bank statement is more than 50 transactions long this means I end up with multiple reports. Combine those reports together, then open each individual transaction to get the details on the original invoice value, materials, vat, etc to prepare the figures for the CIS300.
Even if QF could just have a way of marking suppliers as subbies and running a report showing payments to those suppliers within a certain period that would still make this laborious process slightly easier than it is now.

Hi @BBK

Have you looked at project tags? Projects in QuickFile

This may help you as you can run a search/report within the project

Thanks @QFBeth I will take a look, however each invoice coming in would need to be tagged which relies on the person doing the entry remembering to do it (so I’d have to double check everything anyway), whereas if we could mark a supplier as a subbie then all their invoices would be automatically flagged as subbie invoices

Hi @QFBeth, I’ve just had a play with this and it doesn’t work because the ‘show tagged items’ in the project report shows me the list of invoices tagged, whereas what I need to see is the payments made date not the invoice date.

Might be a better idea to change the way your recording subbies first.

What i would do is create a new bank account, call it sub contractors.

Then payments out to a sub contractor, tag as a bank transfer to that new bank account, again with CIS tax payments, do the same (because net pay plus CIS is the total expense to you)

Then on the new bank account, create money out transactions and tag them as sub contractor payments and CIS payments in the same way you would have on your business account.

You should then have a zero balance on that account as everything will be netted off against each other.

Now moving forward, you only need search that bank account for specific date ranges to get the info you need.

Payments in the bank account that you pay to sub-contractors would usually dealt with using “bank tagging” and allocated to each sub-contractor “supplier” record as “receipts”. If those receipts are bank tagged to nominal ledger “sub-contractors” then all is required is go to “Chart of Accounts” and lookup N/L Sub-contractors for the period of time that you need a figure for your CIS300 return.

@alan_mcbrien Where accounts are being done properly on an accrual basis then this would not work as the bank tagging would tag the payment to the existing supplier invoice. The nominal ledger report would therefore give a list of invoices in a period not payments.

@Paul_Courtier As I’m not the only person tagging I can see that being as much work as our existing method tbh. Thanks for the suggestion though.

In that case you’ll probably need to continue using your existing method as i dont see any other way.

Using a dummy bank account to record payments is the easy fix for something that you require using quickfile.

You could reduce the amount of manual input by using bank tagging rules to automatically tag payments to contractors and hmrc as bank transfers to the sub contractor bank account.

The only manual input from that point would be to record the payments out of that account and tagging them as you would if it had been the business bank account.

In other words the only change in process is creating and tagging payments out from the new account as opposed to the business account.

That’s quite a good point actually, would stop someone else coming along and tagging them direct to the invoices before I got to them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 13 days. New replies are no longer allowed.