PayPal automatically pull in historic data

Hi, thanks for quick response. What I meant was paypal historical feeds automatically. As I have tested other online accounting software positively I tought quickfile should have it too as it seems to be technically possible. Read on forum about csv upload and trying it currently, but it is much more difficult. Auto feed would be a breeze.

Hi @Onder_Guler

I’ve moved your post to a new thread to monitor the interest in this feature.

We’ll certainly keep an eye on this thread :slight_smile:

Thanks, I was looking for ways to do it but sorted. I can not think of any single user which will not want auto paypal feeds. I already read a few threads seeking this. Are the users voting for it to make it into your todo list? How do we vote?

I’m not able to find a previous feature request for this (but I may have missed this).

By simply posting here, that would be sufficient for a vote. There’s also a “like” option on all posts - other users can either add their comments as a reply, or like your original post. We check all feature requests regularly, and providing they fit in with the scope of QuickFile and there is a demand from the community, then we’ll happily investigate them further to see how feasible it is.

I can’t comment on how reasonable it is for us to pull in historical data from our existing PayPal feed, and wouldn’t know how feasible it would be (as I’m not a developer), but we’re more than happy to take a look and take this into account if the interest is there.

It is not existing paypal feed. Sorry I might have expressed myself wrong. I just started using Quickfile I really like it. Very nice with most features except I can not pull my paypal history since 6th april. I did the csv upload now and see it is only ins and outs and not accounting the fees. The auto feed does them all seperately. It is a lot of hard work to upload csv and tag them besides splitting the ebay fees is almost impossible.

I think Onder_Guler is asking for a date facility for when you set up the paypal feed or when you refresh the feed, as it only offers to import that days transactions, as this refresh the feed image shows:

The feature of having an import for previous transactions like a “Import from xx/xx/xxxx” box, in the image above, would be helpful if the feed was interrupted for a few days or for new users to pull in there trading period’s transactions from paypal, instead of having to do a complicated csv creation and importing it into QF

The CSV import will use each row of the CSV file as a bank entry. This would depend on how the fees are shown, for example, if they’re separate rows, then they will import.

I don’t really have any experience with eBay, but do eBay take their fee before sending he rest to you via PayPal (like PayPal do with their fees), or do they take their fee at a later date?

We can certainly consider this. I’m not sure of how feasible it would be, but we’re happy to look into this further if there’s enough interest.

It is especially important for new starters. For example, now I will have to keep using wave meanwhile just for this reason. I can not deal with tons of paypal imports. But otherwise all other features I would have preferred quickfile. This is very important for lots of ebay/paypal users I beleive. Besides, I am not a fully featured programmer, just a beginner. but I understand the logic programming works and since you already have import feature for the day, it should not cost an arm and a leg to add a date range and import that date range from the history instead of just that day. As I mentioned previously, Wave has that feature, it means it is technically possible.
I will keep quickfile importing and maybe next accounting year I may fully switch to quickfile as the feed will be caught up.
Thanks for your time.

Thanks for your feedback @Onder_Guler. We do have many users who use QuickFile for their accounting for eBay sales. As it’s a public forum, you may find they’ll add their comments here too.

But if you’re having a high volume of eBay sales, or PayPal income in general, I do think there may be easier ways to handle this; for example, bulking sales into a generic client at daily, weekly or even monthly is sufficient rather than recording each individual sale. This could be achieved in a similar way to accounting for daily takings.

As I said previously, I can’t answer on the technicality of this feature, but it could be possible that Wave or other accounting software uses a different feed from PayPal than what we do - this is something we can look at if there’s enough interest. But our feature list does grow from community feedback, so we will certainly take your comments on board., and we’ll let you know here if anything changes.

"The CSV import will use each row of the CSV file as a bank entry. This would depend on how the fees are shown, for example, if they’re separate rows, then they will import."
Paypal statement will show the paypal fees in the same row, at a different coloumn, hence not picked up by QF as an expense (at least this is what I think). QF daily paypal feed does magic by importing the fees and even summing them up daily on a single transaction.

“do eBay take their fee before sending he rest to you via PayPal (like PayPal do with their fees), or do they take their fee at a later date?”

Ebay charges its fees later with a monthly invoice which appears on paypal as a sum so no worries there, only problem is with paypal fees.

"We can certainly consider this. I’m not sure of how feasible it would be, but we’re happy to look into this further if there’s enough interest."
Yes I totally understand, I will watch for others’ comments too. Thank you.

how do i import paypal transactions from April 2019? also if old transactions are imported and XE.com rate is used, will it use the historic rate or as of today? As it could be a problem if todays xe.com rate is taken for historic transactions? please clarify and help how to complete the setup? I would like to import historic transaction but not via the CSV option, expecting an option to choose an historic date to import and refresh feed but unfortunately i haven’t noticed any progress since the last comments back in 2017?. thank you

Hi khandiy7,
I am pretty sure the only option for old statements / transactions like yours is to upload a csv file.
If your paypal account is a uk (gbp) account and you pay/receive money in foreign currencies paypal always provides the equivalent in gbp. May you can use these figures.
Hope this helps