Posting journals with bank dates attached

Hi all,

How do I go about posting, for example, a payroll journal for the end of a month (31/10/2017) but then reflecting the actual payment in the bank i.e. on 15/11/2017?

Currently the way I view Quick file it appears that when I post a journal, the journal date reflects the bank transaction date too, but I can’t see how to change that.

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

Each journal will post a number of balancing credits and debits on a specific date. If you wanted to move funds into a nominal ledger on one date, then out on another you would need to post two separate journals.

We have a guide showing how to post Payroll journals here.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

The way you’d typically get around this is to post the payroll journal on 31/10 but rather than including the bank payments directly in that journal you’d post the balancing entries to the appropriate 22xx balance sheet codes (typically net wages and PAYE). Then when you make the actual payments from the bank you tag them as “something not on the list” to the same nominal codes. Between the journal date and the payment date these amounts will correctly show as liabilities on your balance sheet.

1 Like